• 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 8 oz corn drained (half of 15 oz can)
  • 15 oz black beans from the can (washed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 4 oz crumbled Cotija cheese
  • 3 green onions chopped

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.

2. Add chicken breasts to the medium casserole dish.   

3. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and chili powder. 

4. Top the chicken with corn kernels and black beans.  

5. Sprinkle with more chili powder.  Top with crumbled Cotija cheese.

6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Remove from heat.  Top with chopped green onions.

Next ingredient: salsa verde

Honored Contributor

Looks like we are stuck with SALSA VERDE.  Recipe I found to make and serve with roast beef, steak or fish .....from America's Test Kitchen.

SALSA VERDE

3 cups fresh parsley leaves

1 cup fresh mint leaves

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons capers, rinsed

3 anchovy fillets, rinsed

1 garlic clove, minced

1/8 teaspoon salt

Pulse all ingredients in food processor until mixture is finely chopped (should not be smooth), about 10 pulses, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.  Transfer mixture to serving bowl.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... CHILI POWDER

Respected Contributor

Fish Tacos Avocado Dressing

9 tbsp evoo, 1 tsp CHILI POWDER, juice and zest 2 limes, salt, pepper, 4 halibut steaks or fillets, 1 large onion chopped, 3 large garlic cloves chopped, 1 jalapeño pepper chopped, 1- 10oz box frozen corn, 1/2 cup chicken stock, 1 romaine heart shredded, 1/4 cup cilantro, coarsley chopped, 2 ripe avocados, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, hot sauce, 12-  6 inch tortillas.

In a baggies or dish, combine 2 tbsp evoo, CHILI POWDER, juice of 1 lime and salt. Add the fish and marinate. Preheat a large pan on med-high, with 2 tbsp evoo. Add onions, garlic, jalapeño, salt and pepper and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the corn and stock and bring to a bubble.  Then cook another 2 minutes. Put the romaine and cilantro in a salad bowl. Transfer the hot corn mixture to the bowl. Mix so the romaine wilts. Wipe the pan clean and heat on med-high with 2 tbsp evoo. When hot, add the fish and cook each side about 4-5 minutes. Then, flake the fish into large chunks, then add to the bowl with corn and romaine.

Dressing: Put the avocados in a processor. Add zest of 2 limes and remaining juice of 1 lime. Add the vinegar and salt. While the machine is running, add 3 tbsp evoo and a couple of shakes of hot sauce. Blister the tortillas in the wiped clean pan or wrap in damp towel and heat in micro till warm.

Next Ingredient: BLINTZES (Any Flavor)

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

@walker  I make your recipe but I use 2 cans of mushroom soup instead of the sour cream.  I like your recipe with the sour cream a lot. I'm definitely going to make your recipe.

Thanks!

Next Ingredient: BLINTZES ( any flavor )

Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

For this recipe you need to make crepes as well browning on one side.  Cool, and keep covered so they don't dry out.   Personally, I would rather have these made and served to me in a restaurant 😀.

Cherry BLINTZES

1 cup cottage cheese

1/2 cup sour cream (plus extra for topping)

1 to 2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup butter

1 can cherry pie filling (1 lb 5 ozs)

Blend cottage cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla.  Place about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture in center of each crepe.  Fold sides of crepe over filling, overlapping edges; roll up.

In skillet, melt butter over medium heat until bubbly.  Place BLINTZES, seam side down, in skillet.  Cook until golden brown, turning once.  Top each with a tablespoon of sour cream and about 3 tablespoons of pie filling.  Makes 12.

NEXT ...... SWISS CHEESE 

Respected Contributor

Re: JUNE 2019 RECIPE GAMEE

[ Edited ]

Baked Reuben Casserole

Featured Ingredient:  SWISS CHEESE

This version was created by me from many different sources, online, in print, and from friends over many years. 

8 cups seeded or seedless rye bread (I use Beefsteak or Grossingers brand.)

1/2 cup melted butter, plus additional room temperature for prepping the cooking vessel

14.5 oz. jar or 1 lb. package of sauerkraut, drained well

4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

1/2 cup Russian dressing (commercial or from scratch)

1/2 cup finely diced dill pickles (I prefer Heinz or Mt. Olive brand.)

3 Tbsps. Dijon mustard or Colman's hot mustard

1 cup sour cream

1 lb. sliced, chopped corned beef (can substitute pastrami)

2 tsps. caraway seeds (additional tsp. if rye bread is seedless)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9 by 13 inch covered casserole (or can use heavy duty aluminum foil as a cover, crimped tightly around the edges).

Cube or tear 4 cups of the bread; place in the casserole.  Pulse the remaining 4 cups in a blender or food processor to make coarse crumbs and set aside.  

In a medium bowl thoroughly combine the sauerkraut, sour cream, mustard, Russian dressing, pickles, and caraway seeds.  Pour half of this mixture over the cubed bread.  Then arrange half the corned beef on top of this.  Place half the Swiss cheese over that.  Repeat the layers of bread, sauerkraut mixture, and cheese.  Top with the coarse rye bread crumbs and drizzle the melted butter over all.

Bake tightly covered for 30 minutes.  Then remove the cover and bake for an additional ten minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  ANY CITRUS FRUIT

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@aroc3435  OMG, sounds terrific! Thanks.

NEXT INGREDIENT: ANY CITRUS FRUIT

Respected Contributor

@Coquille  Thank you.  It is a pretty good recipe.  Some versions incorporate whole eggs in it as part of the mix, but I didn't care for that--made it into more of a breakfast casserole which was not what I was aiming for.

I typically make this in March for Parade day weekend get togethers when corned beef is on deep discount for St. Patrick's Day celebrations.  Of course, on THE day I make the traditional corned beef and cabbage.

That is why I love the Recipes forum here so much.  It triggers me when the Swap ingredient makes me search my cookbooks and clip files to find the recipes I haven't thought of or used in a while.

Okay.  So the NEXT INGREDIENT is ANY CITRUS FRUIT.

Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE 2019 RECIPE GAMEE

[ Edited ]

Spanish Chicken with Chorizo and Potatoes (Nigella Lawson)

Ingredients

Serves: 6

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 12 chicken thighs with skin and bone still on
  • 1¾ pounds chorizo (whole if baby ones or cut into 4cm / 1½ inch chunks if regular sized)
  • 2¼ pounds new potatoes (halved)
  • 2 red onions (peeled and roughly chopped)
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • grated zest of 1 orange
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/gas mark 7/425ºF. Put the oil in the bottom of 2 shallow roasting tins, 1 tablespoon in each. Rub the skin of the chicken in the oil, then turn skin-side up, 6 pieces in each tin.
  2. Divide the chorizo sausages and the new potatoes between the 2 tins. Sprinkle the onion and the oregano over, then grate the orange zest over the contents of the 2 tins.
  3. Cook for 1 hour, but after 30 minutes, swap the top tray with the bottom tray in the oven and baste the contents with the orange-coloured juices.

Next Ingredient:  Cardamom

Honored Contributor

cardamom.jpeg

Clementine Pound Cake

Click here for the website

1 1/2 sticks butter, softened, plus more for the pan

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/4 cups sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

3 large eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract or paste

1 teaspoon ground cardamom

1 tablespoon clementine zest, from about 2 clementines

4 tablespoons clementine juice, from about 2 clementines

1/4 cup milk

Directions
  1. Heat the oven to 350°  Butter and flour a loaf pan.
  2. Cream the butter, olive oil and sugars together until smooth.
  3. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, until completely blended.
  4. Stir in 1 cup of the flour, followed by the salt, vanilla, cardamom, clementine zest and juice.
  5. Add the milk and the rest of the flour. Beat until the batter is smooth and consistent, but do not over-beat!
  6. Scrape the cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the edges are browned and just pulling away from the sides of the pan, and a cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
  7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Run a knife or spatula around the edges of the cake to release it from the pan, and flip onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.

Original recipes stresses that it is very important to let the cake cool completely before slicing.

Next ingredient:  Graham Cracker Pie Crust
~ house cat ~