Honored Contributor

Rocket Jello Shots

Ah, that's more like it.  Goodness I hate being late!  I love these fun, festive but adult Jello Shots so keep the kids (and anybody who may have had a few) away from those open flames . . . Grin

You know what to do my friends, let's start our July cooking off with a bang!

HOW TO PLAY.......
The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe. At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).
Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose. If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe. That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.
Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient. The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient. Good recipes and lots of fun!!
Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there. Thanks to @GenXmuse who gave us our next ingredient:

Zuchinni  2

Crisp, tender zucchini sticks oven-roasted to absolute perfection. It's healthy, nutritious and completely addictive!

Baked Parmesan Zucchini

Ingredients:
* 4 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on a baking sheet; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.

Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan mixture. Place into oven and bake until tender, about 15 minutes. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the crisp and golden brown.

Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired..

Next Ingredient:  MUSTARD

Honored Contributor

Sweet-Sour Ham Balls*

4 eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 1/2 cups bread crumbs

2 lbs. ground ham

1 lb. ground pork

2 cans (8 oz. each) crushed pineapple, undrained

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup prepared MUSTARD

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Combine eggs, onion and bread crumbs.  Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.  Shape into 1 1/2" balls.  Place in two greased 9x13" baking dishes.

Mix together pineapple with juice, brown sugar, MUSTARD, and vinegar...until well-blended.  Pour over ham balls.  At this point you can cover and freeze for up to 2 months.  Or, bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45-50 minutes, basting occasionally with sauce.

* Serve warm as appetizer or make balls little larger and serve as    
  main dish.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... LEMON JUICE or LIME JUICE 

(And.....thank you mtc...you always do such a nice job starting the month off here for us!  Love the Jello shots.)

Respected Contributor

Re: JULY 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

JAMAICAN JERK SAUCE

adapted from Vernon's Jerk Style Chicken

New York Cookbook  by Molly O'Neill, Page 337

Featured:  LIME JUICE

1 and 1/2 pounds of white onions, quartered

1/2 pound hollowed out and cut in quarters fresh    Jamaican chiles (Scotch Bonnet)

4 oz. fresh ginger peeled 

1/4 cup ground allspice

1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves or 1 and 3/4 tsps dried

3 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper. (I also use a dash of white pepper.)

1 cup fresh lime juice and the zest of 1 lime

1 cup dark soy sauce

Grind the onions, peppers and ginger in a blender or food processor.  Move to a large bowl and stir in the allspice, thyme, pepper, lime juice and soy sauce.

Use to marinate pork butt, beef round roast, porgies, red snapper or chicken before cookingg. Refrigerated and capped tightly this sauce keeps for a week.

Caution:  ALWAYS wear rubber gloves when handling the  Scotch Bonnet peppers to avoid burning your skin.

Hope you enjoy this!  aroc3435

Next Ingredient:  POSTER'S CHOICE

Honored Contributor
CREAMY ITALIAN ASPARAGUS

PREP TIME
5 mins
COOK TIME
18 mins
TOTAL TIME
23 mins

Author: Lyuba Brooke
Serves: Serves 4-6
INGREDIENTS
  • About 1 lb (1 bunch) asparagus, small/medium thickness
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
  • Salt to taste
  • Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
  • ½ cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 400 and lightly grease a 1.5-2 quart baking pan. (8x8 baking pan should work too.)
  2. Wash and dry the asparagus stalks. Trim off the white ends, if any. Place asparagus into the baking dish and spread them evenly.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and grated Asiago cheese.
  4. Pour heavy cream mixture all over the asparagus.
  5. Spread mozzarella cheese over the top.
  6. Bake for 18-20 minutes. (This is a good time for small to medium thickness of asparagus.)
Next Ingredient: Vinegar (any kind)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't know why they are called Italian, but they sure are good!

Italian Green Beans with Tomatoes

1 pound green beans**

2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 small red onion, sliced
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
Ripe olives 

Vinaigrette Recipe
1/3 cup EVOO
2 T red wine vinegar
1clove garlic, chopped
1 t salt
Dash of pepper

Mix all dressing ingredients together and shake to combine.

Directions:

Cook beans uncovered in skillet or pan for 5 minutes

Cover and continue to cook until tender (10-15 minutes) and drain.

Pour Vinaigrette over warm beans and toss.

Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours (or overnight). 

With a slotted spoon, remove beans to a lettuce lined plate or platter.

Add tomatoes around the edge and scatter red onion slices over them on the platter.

Sprinkle with cheese and/or garnish with olives

Serve at room temp.....or slightly chilled.

**I just use a bag of Steam in the Bag green beans.

Next ingredient:  Polenta (grits)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Zhills 

I know this is a very basic recipe, but I want to thank you for choosing polenta. It brings back good memories for me.  When I was a child, my mom and dad loved it, but as a finicky eater, I wouldn't have anything to do with it. Now that I'm a grown up finicky eater, I think I'll give it a try.  The video from Laura Vitale makes it very simple and especially helpful since my mom is no longer around to ask.

images.jpeg 

Creamy Butter/Parmesan Polenta

Ingredients
  • 3 cups of Chicken Stock
  • 1 1/2 cups of Whole Milk
  • 1 1/2 cup of Half and Half
  • 1/4 cup of Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup of Freshly Grated Parmiggiano Reggiano
  • 1 cups of Polenta or coarse cornmeal
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preparation
      1) In a large pot, add the chicken stock, milk and half and half and bring to a boil.
      2) Add the polenta while constantly stirring for a few minutes for about 5 minutes.
      3) Turn the heat down to low, partially cover the pot with a lid and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes while giving it a stir every 5 minutes.
      4) Turn the heat off, add the butter, parmesan cheese and lots of salt and pepper and stir it all together.
      Note: Depending on the size of your corn meal it may take more or less time to cook to become creamy.
      Next ingredient: polenta (again) , because there are so many ways to prepare it and even more ways to reuse the leftovers.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Shrimp and Grits

Prepare all ingredients before beginning recipe.  It moves quickly and you won’t have time to measure, chop and slice once the cooking starts.  Start with the shrimp!

Shrimp:

•       1 1/2 pounds (26-30 count)  Shrimp
  •       2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (I like Paul          Prudomme)
  •       1 tablespoon paprika
  •       1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
  •       Freshly ground black pepper to taste 

Grits, i.e., Polenta

•       3 cups chicken broth
  •       2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  •       1 cup quick grits (recommended: Quaker)
  •       1 tablespoon tomato paste
  •       3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (canned milk)
  •       3  ounces extra-sharp Cheddar
  •       Add extra chicken broth to keep creamy

Sauce:

•       3 tablespoons butter grease from                           sausage
  •       1 tablespoon minced garlic
  •       3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  •       1 cup chicken stock
  •       1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  •       1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  •       1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
  •       1 link sausage  (Cut about as many pieces             (1/8 inch) as you have shrimp)

Directions:

First, peel and devein the shrimp. In a small bowl, combine Cajun seasoning, paprika, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp to coat well and set the shrimp aside.

Next, make your grits. In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth and 2 tablespoons butter to a boil. Slowly add the grits, whisking often with wire whisk for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cream, and cheese. Keep whisking for another 2 or 3 minutes until the grits become creamy.

Now cook the shrimp: 

Cook sausage in a large sauté pan until done.  Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add in the spice-coated shrimp, and cook (in a single layer) only until they're just done and tender.

Don't overcook; they are done when they curl on the edges. Remove the shrimp from the saute pan and set them aside in a bowl.

The roux is next. With all those wonderful drippings from the shrimp in the saute pan, adjust grease to 3 Tablespoons.  Add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stir with a wooden spatula to make a roux.

Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until roux reaches a medium-tan color, then slowly add the chicken broth and heavy cream. Whisk together and cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in Worcestershire sauce. 

Add the cooked sausage and shrimp.

Take off heat .

To serve, and this is the best part-

Place several heaping spoonfuls of steaming cheese grits onto a plate.

Top with several sizzling shrimp in that wonderful roux sauce over top.

Enjoy!

Next ingredient:  Grits or Polenta  (yes, again)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fried Corn Meal Mush

(From the Mennonite Cookbook)

Ingredients:

3 Cups yellow corn meal

1/2 Cup white flour

1 Teaspoon salt

2 Quarts boiling water

Directions:

Bring water to a boil. Sift together corn meal, white flour and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to boiling water, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. When well blended, cover and cook slowly in a double boiler for two hours, or in a heavy pan on low heat for 1 hour.

Pour into loaf or cake pans to mold. Set in refrigerator to chill thoroughly. Cut in slices 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and fry on griddle or in skillet until golden brown on both sides. Serve with maple syrup or apple butter.

Next Ingredient: Sage

Honored Contributor
Zucchini Tomato Bake

• Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients
  • 2 large or 2.5 lbs zucchini, cut into quarters
  • 10 oz grape tomatoes, cut in halves or 2 large tomatoes, diced
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 tsp any dried herbs like basil, oregano or Italian
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • Ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/3 cup parsley or basil, finely chopped
  • Cooking spray (I use Misto)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 8 x 8 or 9 x 11 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients, except parsley/basil; stir to combine.
  3. Transfer to a prepared baking dish and bake uncovered for 25 minutes for crunchy zucchini or 35 minutes if you like well cooked vegetables. I recommend checking for doneness with a fork or knife after 25 minutes.
  4. Remove from the oven, garnish with basil or parsley and serve hot/warm.

Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 days.

Notes

Add some grilled, roasted, cooked, even quickly pan fried with some seasonings chicken (cubed or shredded).

Next Ingredient: Polenta? j/k how about any CARBONATED DRINK

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kraft Pistachio Pudding Cake

Featured Ingredient:  CARBONATED BEVERAGE--      CLUB SODA

1 pkg 2 layer yellow cake mix

1 pkg (3.4 oz.) Jell-o  Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding mix

4 eggs

1 and 1/4 cups water OR 1 and 1/4 cups CLUB SODA & 1/4 cup vegetable oil (See note at end of directions.)

1/2 tsp pure almond extract

7 drops green food coloring (optional)

2 tbsp powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat all ingredients-- except powdered sugar--together with an electric mixer until blended.

Pour into greased and floured 12 cup Bundt pan or 10 inch tube pan.

Bake 50 to 55 mins.   Inserted toothpick should come out clean.  

Variation:  If using a 9 by 13 inch pan bake 40 to 45 minutes at 350 and cut and serve from the pan.

Cool Bundt or Tube cake on rack for 10 mins.  Remove cake  and cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar.

Note:  If using "pudding in the cake" mix reduce water or soda to 1 cup.

Next Ingredient:  CHOCOLATE IN ANY FORM--SYRUP, COCOA POWDER, SQUARES, BARS OR CHIPS

aroc3435