Trusted Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2015 RECIPE GAME.........TO NEW BEGINNINGS

This is more of a substitute for creamed spinach, not a take on Southern cooked collards...Cool

Creamed Collard Greens

8 pounds collard greens (8 bunches), tough stems and ribs removed

1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter

6 large shallots, minced

4 large garlic cloves, minced

1 quart heavy cream

Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Bring a very large stockpot of water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Add half of the collard greens to the boiling water, a little at a time, and push them down into the water. Let the water return to a boil, then cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the greens to the ice water. Repeat with the remaining greens. Drain the greens very well and squeeze them dry in a kitchen towel, then finely shred.

In a very large skillet, melt the butter. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 25 minutes. Add the greens to the cream and toss until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Season generously with nutmeg, salt and pepper and serve.

NEXT INGREDIENT: DILL PICKLES

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

Dill Pickle Dip

This thick cream cheese dip chock full of dill pickle and sweet onion is for serious pickle fans! Dunk pretzels, vegetable sticks, crackers or chips in it or spread on a bun for a hamburger that'll knock your socks off!

Ingredients

1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1- 1½ cups chopped dill pickles
¼ cup finely chopped sweet onion
2- 4 tablespoons pickle juice (use less for thicker dip or more for thinner dip)
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
½ teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions
Use a wooden spoon to press into the cream cheese then stir until loosened up and smooth. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients until evenly distributed. Transfer to a serving dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
This dip is good for up to a week when stored tightly covered in the refrigerator. It may become thinner as the week draws to an end.

Next ingredient: Gherkins or sweet pickles

Super Contributor

'Healthier' Dijon-Cilantro Tuna Salad adapted from Bon Appetit, April 2009

1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
6 tbsp sweet pickle relish (or finely chopped sweet pickles)
4 tbsp dijon mustard (or use whole grain mustard)
2 5-oz cans solid albacore tuna, packed in water, drained
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup finely minced red onion
1/3 cup chopped cilantro, or sub parsley or dill

Mix together yogurt, relish, and mustard. Add the tuna and mix well. Gently stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cover; chill at least 30 minutes.

Next ingredient: Italian sausage

Respected Contributor

Zuppa Toscana

QVC Recipe Swap | On 5/18/2011 by lavendersage

1 pound Italian sausage

3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

6 slices bacon, torn or cut into smaller pieces

1 large onion, diced

1 clove of garlic, minced

2 - 2 ½ quarts (8 - 10 cups) chicken broth

6 cups of potatoes, thinly sliced with skin on..russet or Yukon gold are good (about 3 russets)

1 cup half ‘n half

2- 3 cups of kale, in bite size pieces

top with grated Parmesan cheese

Remove the Italian sausage from casings and brown with red pepper flakes in a large pot. Drain and set aside.

Cook the bacon in the same pot until crisp. Drain, reserve about 2 tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the pot. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.

Pour the chicken broth into the pot with the bacon and onion; bring to a boil.

Add the potatoes, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes on medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the half n half and the cooked sausage; heat through; don't boil.

Add the kale and let cook until desired tenderness...5-10 minutes.

Grate Parmesan cheese on top of servings.

Next ingredient: leftover (cooked) beef

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Bringing forward.....NEXT INGREDIENT.....Leftover (cooked) Beef
Trusted Contributor

This is almost better than the original prime rib.......NOTE ALMOST.........{#emotions_dlg.w00t} Take leftover prime rib beef, and slice thin....mix in some mayo with horseradish, flavor to your liking, and spread on a sliced french loaf bread, both sides, and layer on provolone, or my favorite, butterkase cheese, then the prime rib, and wrap in foil until warmed, then unwrap and toast slightly......Serve with a great big pickle, and any au jus you may have, WHICH I never have because I either smoke my prime rib or cook on my rotisserie, and enjoy the heck out of it.........Cool

NEXT INGREDIENT: SAUERKRAUT

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Oooh, thank you, Forrestwolf. I have some leftover prime rib in the freezer and did not want to use it for stroganoff. I'm putting your sandwiches on next week's menu. Thanks!

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/21/2015 IamMrsG said:

Oooh, thank you, Forrestwolf. I have some leftover prime rib in the freezer and did not want to use it for stroganoff. I'm putting your sandwiches on next week's menu. Thanks!

I know that I love it, and I am glad to see your name again here and there......Hope all is going on a positive not for you and yours.........{#emotions_dlg.wub}

SAUERKRAUT.......

Super Contributor

Grilled Reuben Sandwich for 1

2 slices marble rye bread
butter
1/4 - 1/3 cup well drained sauerkraut
Russian or Thousand Island dressing
Swiss cheese, a slice or 2, or Gruyere if you prefer
corned beef, sliced thinly

Butter one side of both slices of bread, then spread the dry sides w/ Russian dressing.

Put a frying pan (cast iron is perfect) onto the stove, & lay one slice of bread in it - butter side down, naturally.
Spread out the sauerkraut on top of it, then the corned beef, the cheese, & finally the other bread slice, butter side up.
Heat the skillet gently, and cook until the underside is browned, then flip over.
Set a plate on top of the sandwich, & top the plate w/ something heavy, either a can of tomatoes or another frying pan, in order to weigh it down.
Cook until the underside is browned & crispy.
Flip again to reheat the other side.
Next ingredient: anise or fennel anything
Trusted Contributor

Oh, Sabatini2......My mouth is drooling.......except, I do use Blue Cheese dressing..........{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

ANISE COOKIES

Ingredients

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1-1/2 teaspoons crushed aniseed

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar, divided

1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 cup blanched almonds, toasted and finely chopped (TRUST ME, USE HALF ALMONDS AND HALF PISTACHIOS)

2 teaspoons milk

Directions

1. Line a baking pan with foil; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, aniseed, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Stir in almonds and reserved flour mixture.

3. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a 12-in. x 2-in. rectangle on the prepared baking pan. Smooth the surface of each rectangle; brush with milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.

4. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and reduce heat to 300°.

5. Transfer rectangles with foil to a wire racks; cool for 15 minutes. Place rectangles on a cutting board; cut diagonally into 1/2-in. slices. Place slices, cut side down, on baking pans.

6. Bake 10-12 minutes longer. Turn oven off, leaving cookies in oven to cool with door ajar. Store cookies in airtight containers.

NEXT INGREDIENT: MASHED POTATOES (AS AN INGREDIENT)