Trusted Contributor

If you make Meatloaf?

[ Edited ]

What is your favorite ingredients? I am trying one today with ground veal and lean beef with garlic onion and low salt seasonings Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: If you make Meatloaf?

[ Edited ]

@northiie57   First of all no veal for us.  DH uses ground sirloin mixed with egg and Lipton's dry beefy/onion soup mix with just a little water to moisten instead of other seasonings, Adds some ketchup and some mozzarella cheese.  It is delicious and easy.

I forgot to say Crackers.

Regular Contributor

Ground beef, an egg, garlic, salt, pepper, (sometimes an onion chopped) onion powder, a handful of old fashioned oats and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce.  

Respected Contributor

My ex-husband and I farmed, and I often had to cook meals for our farm hands.  After having my meatloaf, one of the hands said, "This is the best meatloaf ever."  Here's the recipe if you're interested:

The Best Meatloaf...Ever

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce plus enough ketchup to equal 1 1/4 cups
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
---------------------------
Or plain ketchup can be used for the topping

Pour the can of tomato sauce into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup and add enough ketchup to equal 1 1/4 cups.  Combine all ingredients except topping.   Pat mixture into an ungreased 7x11 baker.*  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Combine topping ingredients, spread over meatloaf, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

*6 (9 or 10 oz.) ramekins can be used. Use a meat thermometer to determine when they reach a well-done reading (170 degrees).  They usually take 35 minutes at 350 degrees; then spread on the topping and bake for another 5 minutes.

Note:  I prefer to use 85/15 ground beef, because I think it has more flavor than leaner ground beef.  I use a turkey baster to remove the grease in the bottom of the baker along the sides before spreading on the topping.

100_3763.jpg

Honored Contributor

I prefer seasoned breadcrumbs in place of oats.

Respected Contributor

A long time ago when  still cooked, mine would be ground beef, ketchup, diced onion, green pepper, Gulden's mustard, quick oats and egg. 

Frequent Contributor

I use Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix moistened with chicken broth in place of bread crumbs.    And lots of sauteed onions    Egg.   Either the "meatloaf" combo of ground meat packaged at the store, or mix 1 lb. ground beef with either ground pork or ground chicken.  Sometimes sauteed celery, diced carrot, chopped mushrooms.   Whatever strikes me at the time.   Hardly ever make it exactly the same way twice.

Trusted Contributor

My favorite is using Stove Top Stuffing mix.  You can Google it and there are many variations to the recipe.  Perfect every time!

•  
Honored Contributor

Re: If you make Meatloaf?

[ Edited ]

my son is here visiting and he's making his excellent meatloaf recipe for dinner tonight.

He used:

pork & ground chuck meat mixture

ketchup

montreal steak seasoning

panko bread crumbs

eggs

worchestire sauce

after forming he put a mixture of ketchup & panko bread crumbs on top

Baked for 30 minutes on 425 and then 375 for 30 minutes

The house smells so good can't wait for dinner🤦‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg 

My dear mom made meatloaf almost identical to your recipe, she didn't add brown sugar to the topping, it was delicious. Thank you for posting your recipe.

Thanks to those who suggested using Stovetop Dressing, thank you, I'll try that one next.

My favorite at the moment is Safeway's baked meatloaf, it's made fresh everyday. I get 4-5 meals from it. I can't make it for the price ($10.95).