Honored Contributor

If You Love Roast!

[ Edited ]

I just love roast!  I've always loved beef since I was small although I eat a lot of fish and chicken also.

This roast is ultra good and SO easy!  Eye of round can be a terrific buy on sale!  Be sure to cut in thin pieces as this isn't quite as tender as a rib roast!

Roast Eye Of Round  (Cooks .com)

Eye Of Round

Salt and pepper to taste

Kitchen Bouquet

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Trim fat off of meat.

Rub Kitchen Bouquet heavily into orast until dark brown.

Sprinkle with seasonings as desired.

Place on wire rack in pan lined with foil.

Bake at 500 degrees for 4-5 minutes per pound.

4 min gives med rare, 5 is much more done

Turn Off Oven.

DO NOT open door for 1 1/2 hours.

*When I reheat, I put slices under the broiler for just a second!

This method does not give you the problems associated when turkeys were cooked overnight in the cold oven method.  Turkeys and poultry have enzimes that are not present in beef.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I like an eye of round roast...will have to try this method, sounds good!

Honored Contributor

@daisyk wrote:

I like an eye of round roast...will have to try this method, sounds good!

@daisykI just put how to reheat on.  It really is good!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG, thank you for the recipe. It sounds interesting. I'm not sure I've ever even had an eye of round roast. It's usually either a rump or chuck roast here at my house. I might just give this a try.

Thanks again,

pup

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@ECBG, thank you for the recipe. It sounds interesting. I'm not sure I've ever even had an eye of round roast. It's usually either a rump or chuck roast here at my house. I might just give this a try.

Thanks again,

pup

@pupwhippedThe eye is the center of the round so it will be slightly moer tinder.  The thin cut also helps.  I may also serve this when we have a "Christmas" in early December with a couple we've remained close to from college days.  The hubbys were on the same hall.  We've always lived within forty five minutes of eachother and our children grew up as first cousins.  It's SO much fun to hold eachother's grand choldren!   They'll all come!  We do pressents and all of it!

This year the dinner will be here.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend that makes her eye round this way all the time.

I would have a problem not opening the oven door - I don't know if I would be able to wait the 90 minutes without peeking!

Trusted Contributor

Ecbg Thanks! 

I've seen it on sale locally and have been tempted but wasn't sure exactly how to prepare it.  Some roasts are so tough when you dont cook them properly.   I've been on a very low carb/fat diet so this will fit right in.  Grilled chicken and fish are getting booooring...I need a distraction (pipe burst at my beach house and clean up was yesterday) and usually go to cooking but with this diet...

I'll be off to the market and the butcher shop later and look forward to trying this.  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting!    My late mom made the best eye round roast.   Slightly under-done but after it rests, the juices are clear.   Otherwise my Dad wouldn't touch it!

Slicing thin is the trick, also great for sandwiches.    I always like open face with gravy & of course mashed potatoes.

@ECBG wrote:

I just love roast!  I've always loved beef since I was small although I eat a lot of fish and chicken also.

This roast is ultra good and SO easy!  Eye of round can be a terrific buy on sale!  Be sure to cut in thin pieces as this isn't quite as tender as a rib roast!

Roast Eye Of Round  (Cooks .com)

Eye Of Round

Salt and pepper to taste

Kitchen Bouquet

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Trim fat off of meat.

Rub Kitchen Bouquet heavily into orast until dark brown.

Sprinkle with seasonings as desired.

Place on wire rack in pan lined with foil.

Bake at 500 degrees for 4-5 minutes per pound.

4 min gives med rare, 5 is much more done

Turn Off Oven.

DO NOT open door for 1 1/2 hours.

*When I reheat, I put slices under the broiler for just a second!

This method does not give you the problems associated when turkies were cooked overnight in the cold oven method.  Turkeys and poultry have enzimes that are not present in beef.

Honored Contributor

We're eating roast for a few days, then I'll cut in long pieces, add some onions cut large, mushroom soup, water, garlic and put in the crock pot or make stew; add potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and wine.  Serve over noodles are rice.

You could also add some barbque sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar.

Honored Contributor

I love to make eye of round roast BUT it can be very tough cut of meat . IMO - cooking it for only 1 1/2 hr is not going to sufficiently tenderize it. I always cook it long and low - usually in my crock pot for 5 to 6 hours. Then it is tender.