Trusted Contributor

I'm going to grill a few small ribeyes, what would you put on them?

So, my great steak thread got lost in the switchover.  It was filled with me complaining about cooking steak on my beloved Foreman Grill and everyone telling me to stop making steak on my beloved Foreman Grill and how to make it right.  And here I am.

I have a package of small ribeyes from the grocery store.  I also have an outdoor gas grill.  How would you make these steaks?  Any marinade?  What seasonings?  How long to cook them?  I cannot eat rare.  I'm more of medium to medium-well kinda girl.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm going to grill a few small ribeyes, what would you put on them?

My favorite way to use small ribeyes is in a Ribeye Sandwich.  The steak must be thin, though (if not, carefully butterfly them*).  After grilling quickly so as not to overcook them, and they will cook fast, put a steak onto rye bread and top with thin slices of red onion and yellow, salad mustard.  De-li-cious!

*It is easier, safer to butterfly partially frozen steaks.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

I use only salt and pepper on steak as I want to taste the steak, not a bunch of spices or marinate.  As for how long to cook them, that would depend on the thickness of the steaks & how hot your grill is.  I use charcoal & have it screaming hot for steak.

I bought my SIL little steak probes from Sur La Table & these make grilling steak foolproof.  Worse thing to do is overcook steak, you can always throw it back on the grill if necessary.  Happy grilling! 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

We grill meat outside rain or shine, winter and summer, and the big steak fan in the family likes his beef either seasoned with nothing but a little McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning or  marinated for a while in  Lawry's Steak & Chop or Signature Steakhouse marinades.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand what's so wrong about cooking it on your contact grill.  I've done it before, although I usually use a grill pan on the stove.  Fact of the matter is, unless you are searing then finishing in the oven, it's no different than using a gas or electric grill outside.

Now, if you have a charcoal grill, that's a whole different deal.   That would be preferable to any of the above.

If not and you have to use gas or electric, nothing wrong with using the stove, oven, or contact grill.  Smiley Happy   In fact, IMO, better to do that than to use a gas/propane grill because for some people (me included) that just makes the meat taste like gas.

Respected Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

So, my great steak thread got lost in the switchover.  It was filled with me complaining about cooking steak on my beloved Foreman Grill and everyone telling me to stop making steak on my beloved Foreman Grill and how to make it right.  And here I am.

I have a package of small ribeyes from the grocery store.  I also have an outdoor gas grill.  How would you make these steaks?  Any marinade?  What seasonings?  How long to cook them?  I cannot eat rare.  I'm more of medium to medium-well kinda girl.  

Rib-eye is my personal favorite.  If it is a thicker cut, an expensive cut of meat needs NO marinade.  I personally like a little Montreal steak seasoning but S&P works for me.  I have even brushed a tiny amount of EVOO and fresh garlic on mine.

If it a sandwich-thin cut rib-eye, I would season it to your liking and serve it on garlic bread with grilled onions and if you like (I cannot stand) mushrooms.

Do whatever works for you.  I used my Foreman the other day for burgers and they were just fine.

Honored Contributor

Stargazer, how thick are these steaks?  Are they around 1/4 inch thick or less?  If they are that thin, I personally would be concerned that a gas grill may almost be too much for them.  You would literally have to stand there and watch them, probably two minutes a side with resting time (I just have a little Masterbuilt grill and it's been over a decade since I had a gas grill).

I love those little steaks and grab them whenever I find them on sale.  Nothing make a better sandwich!

Trusted Contributor

An update to my steak thread...the steaks were very small and very thin.  I took them out of the fridge and brought them to room temperature and put salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder on them.  Too much pepper, Penzey's is strong stuff.  Grilled them for a bit, covered them with foil for a bit and they came out very good.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Oh, I'm so glad they came out great and you enjoyed them.  Those are just the nicest little steaks, I love them too (and Penzy's spices)!

Trusted Contributor

I always marinate my steaks in red wine vinegar and season with Montreal Steak Seasoning. I wouldn't have them any other way--delicious!