Trusted Contributor

Re: I forgot how much I dislike oatmeal.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I sometimes eat the quaker raisin date and walnut instant oatmeal. If it is not sweet enough for you you can add splenda. Sometimes I add a few fresh blueberries . On occassion i have added cinnamon to my oatmeal. But if you are trying to lower your Aic, oatmeal is not the greatest choice. Stick to something a little higher protein and less carb. Maybe like 1 boiled agg and a slice of avacoda toast or a  low carb high prtein shake or bar. 

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I love oatmeal but not that instant packet krap.

Not a very nice thing to say.  That you don't like it would have been sufficient. 

I never liked oatmeal until I ate the instant maple & brown sugar krap.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

I am diabetic, run an A1c between 6.5 and 7.0, and add a hint of brown sugar and butter to my oatmeal.   

I am 64 years old and LIVE my life with diabetes.   NO food is off limits to me; I drink Coke every day.   I am not paranoid about what I eat, just plan, and make allowances for my choices for the day.   

I couldn't agree more - nothing is off limits for me.  Moderation and balance is the key.   My A1C is always around 6 give or take a few points.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I love oatmeal but not that instant packet krap.

@CelticCrafter 

Totally agree.

It's processed food.

Literally filled w/ processed sugar & salt.

And it makes me upset when it's marketed as

'Heart Healthy' & use words like 'wholesome goodness.'

It's not heart healthy. It's not wholesome.

I would argue a piece of fat-free cake would be healthier! 

Honored Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@mom2four0418  I got no list yet.  I found the do's and don't on diabetic websites.

I did have a whopping 1/2 cup of chili.  Picked out 80% of the meat. No crackers. Before knowing about this it would have been 1 cup of chili /Fritos Scoops. Truthfully, the plain 1/2 cup was plenty.  Didn't enjoy it without crackers or Fritos. 

Meat is protein and will help to sow the absorption of the carbs from the beans.

@akaburtonfan 

Biology 101....it's the fiber which slows down absorption of CH.

Protein has nothing to do with digestion process.

Meat will also cause a diabetic to continue to be

insulin resistant (not good). 

Honored Contributor

I always loved oatmeal.  Of course I added a lot of sugar.  I'd microwave the milk up after  I cooked the oatmeal.

Never liked oatmeal cookies.

Respected Contributor

I love my old fashioned oatmeal cooked for 6 minutes in small pinch of salted water instead of the recommened 5 minutes. Cinnamon and a handful of Craisens and at the end of the cooking time, broken walnuts, a little brown sugar all topped with milk.  Usually also fresh blueberries when I have them.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I am diabetic, run an A1c between 6.5 and 7.0, and add a hint of brown sugar and butter to my oatmeal.   

I am 64 years old and LIVE my life with diabetes.   NO food is off limits to me; I drink Coke every day.   I am not paranoid about what I eat, just plan, and make allowances for my choices for the day.   

The doctor is starting you on Metformin to ensure your A1c stays low, and to protect your blood vessels, eyes, and kidneys.   Once you start this drug, you must eat enough food at meals to avoid low blood sugars.   Low blood sugars are more dangerous than a daily high  reading.   

Your doctor will write you a prescription for a glucometer and test strips; your insurance will pay on this purchase.   

With all due respect, having A1C's at 7 is very high! I'm a type 1 and just got my recent A1C and mine is 5.3. I very rarely have low readings. It's just can't let myself drink sugar drinks, that's definitely a no-no but I surely don't miss it. I use steel cut oatmeal and love it. It doesn't make my bs rise at all. Within 2 hours it's back down again. Try cream of wheat, I love that too! 

"Pure Michigan"
Occasional Contributor

I add a bit of peanut butter to flavor mine & to start the day with a little protein. Or, I even stir in a little protein powder if I am passing on the peanut butter, and choosing to add a sugar free syrup instead.

It helps me to not get too hungry again before lunch.
Trusted Contributor

I love oatmeal.  I add a small dollop of margarine and a small squirt of sugar free syrup - yum yum.