Honored Contributor

What recipe is everyone looking for now that the month of December is almost here?

Have anyone's choices changed this year?  I just wonder how people's choices are going this year?

Honored Contributor

Re: What recipe is everyone looking for now that the month of December is almost here?

I'm checking out bacon wrapped water chestnuts. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What recipe is everyone looking for now that the month of December is almost here?

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts was a family fave when I was growing up - what a nice memory-thanks!

Super Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I'm checking out bacon wrapped water chestnuts. 

Sounds like Rumaki without the chicken liver.  I used to make Rumaki years ago and loved it.  Haven't thought about it in a long time.

Honored Contributor

I love rumaki - I haven't had that in years.

Respected Contributor

Braised or slow-cooked beef short ribs.  Been wanting to try them for a long time, and two magazines I recently received both had short rib recipes.

My problem so far is finding some that look good or are packaged in the smaller  amount that I need.  Will probably have to consult a butcher to get what I want.

Anybody have a good short rib recipe??  If so, please share.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  you might give a shout out to @deepwaterdotter ...she seems to be the person who has a book of delights  to share

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your vote of confidence cherry.  My 'tried and true' short rib recipe comes from an old issue of Cook's Country:

3 lbs boneless short ribs

2 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 onions, halved and sliced thin

1 tbsp tomato paste

6 cloves peeled garlic

2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon

1 cup beef broth

4 big carrots, peeled and cut into 2" pieces

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin powder

1/4 cup cold water

Pat ribs dry and season with salt and pepper.   Brown ribs in oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Place ribs into bowl.  Cook onions in Dutch oven over medium heat until beginning to brown.  Stir in tomato paste until browned.  Stir in garlic for 30 seconds.  Pour in wine and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 cup.  Stir in broth, carrots, bay leaf, and beef.  Cover and bring to simmer. 

Braise in 300 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours, turning meat every 45 minutes.

Put water in small dish, sprinkle gelatin on top, and let stand 5 minutes.  Move meat and carrots to platter and tent with foil.  Strain remaining liquid through strainer and into bowl (I use a fat separator).  Remove fat and pour defatted liquid back in Dutch oven.  Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1 cup.  Stir in gelatin mixture off heat.  Serve sauce with meat.        

Honored Contributor

I've been looking at recipes for trifles.  I want to use my big crystal punch bowl.  I want the look and tastes of Christmas.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter 

That recipe has some interesting additions not yet seen in other recipes for short ribs.

When I cook, I tend to read different recipes for the same type of dish and take some ingredients from one recipe and add them to another.

My variations often work. but not always.  Let's hope I don't mess up my next several tries.   Have copied and saved your version and really appreciate it.