Trusted Contributor

Re: How to do cook your turkey?

I buy a turkey breast from Trader Joe's, season it, brown it in a pan.

I caramelize onions, cut celery and put those in an instant pot with turkey/chicken broth and really good drinking Sherry, and set the turkey breast on top and pressure cook. It's always moist and flavorful.

I lay more caramelized onions on top of the turkey breast before locking the lid and pushing the magical pressure button.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SXMGirl 

I roast in a 325 degree oven.  The spices should be good anywhere.  Poultry seasoning is delicious!!!!

I am a former Home Economics teacher.

What does that have to do with cooking a turkey? NADA.

Respected Contributor

Wash and dry turkey. Butter under the skin and some inside the bird. Salt and pepper in and out. Paprika and sage on the skin. Then I take an orange,squeeze some juice out and put juice and whole orange, celery and onion inside of bird. Oven at 350.

Respected Contributor

I go to my SIL's for Thanksgiving.  Haven't cooked my own bird in years.  I do make sausage stuffing every year to bring to her house.  I use the Bob Evans recipe

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@layla2450 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SXMGirl 

I roast in a 325 degree oven.  The spices should be good anywhere.  Poultry seasoning is delicious!!!!

I am a former Home Economics teacher.

What does that have to do with cooking a turkey? NADA.

@layla2450 : Comment kinda harsh. 

Regular Contributor

How I normally do mine is i stick of salted butter soften with fresh polutry herb pack plus one rosemary pack mixed together that goes under the skin and all over the outside, I stuff it with celery, onions, and lemon. salt and pepper it.cover it and put it in the oven at 325. I take the neck, and the liver with salt, pepper, 2 onions, 4 celery sticks, 1/4 cup of butter, 1 lemon, polutry seasoning and rosemary with gallon of water and cook on top of the stove. I use the broth to make my dressing and gravy.

I've been told brining makes a more tender bird. I was told to brine in apple cider. I've never brined before.

Honored Contributor

I've brined in the past, but planning to keep it simple this year.  Remove the parts from the cavity. Rinse the turkey inside and out, Pat dry with paper towel.  Salt the cavity. Add a few ribs of celery, some carrots, 1 or 2 quartered onions, some fresh herb sprigs or seasonings.  Then I stick some pieces of hard butter under the skin, where I can, and butter the outside as well.  Add salt, pepper, then cover the bird with cheesecloth or a piece of an old all-cotton percale sheet.  After  3 hrs. or so, ditch the cheesecloth and finish roasting.  Baste a few times throughout..  At the end of the roasting time, allow the turkey to rest sufficiently before carving. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl ---You know, I don't do much to it at all---maybe lift the skin and put herbs under it but mostly I paint a little olive oil on the skin and then just salt and pepper it---Can't remember how big it was tho--maybe 3-5 pounds--I have a 6 qt airfryer so it will fit. there are recipes for this ---don't recall the temp or time. You need to  make sure to use a thermometer . but it comes out juicey and nicely browned. In fact prob the best turkey I've cooked. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for your turkey cooking ideas.  

@wagirl  I have an air fryer that I have never used, but I may give the turkey a try. Thanks.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Duckncover When you do only a breast, how to you handle the carrots/celery/onion part? There's not really a cavity...do you just put the veg in the roasting bag and lay the breast on top? Thanks.