Super Contributor

Re: How to Grill a Chicken Breast So That Its Tender and Moist

I made two skinless boneless chicken breasts for chicken salad this morning.  I seasoned them, put some olive oil into my grill pan and browned them for 5 minutes on each side.  I then put them into a 350 degree oven (I use my toaster oven) for 10 minutes.  They were cooked through and very juicy.  

Respected Contributor

Although I rarely cook chicken breasts since I prefer dark meat, what I do is brine the chicken overnight. 

Honored Contributor

You are cooking it too long, too hot or both.  If you are grilling, don't grill it over direct heat.  Put it on the grill a little off the hottest part of the fire.   ALSO, be sure to get a GOOD thermometer and go by that.  

Thermoworks which has a great website, makes the best thermometers I've ever used.  They have good sales, pretty colors, and many kinds.  One of my favorites is there "pop" series of instant read ones.  I have 2 in my kitchen.

I also use the dot one with the probe in it.  I don't know what I'd do without them!  

Respected Contributor

Hi!

Here's what I do:

Pound the breasts to a somewhat even thickness - no need to go crazy & beat them to death.

Toss into a Ziploc baggie w/ either Italian or Greek salad dressing & marinate for a few hours in the fridge.

Remove the breasts from the marinade & blot w/ paper towels a bit so they're not sloppy w/ wetness.

Cooking:

I'm a big fan of either starting w/ a bang, or ending w/ a bang.

Indoors: Get a skillet HOT, swirl in some oil, then sear the breasts quickly on each side. (Stand back! Smiley Happy)

After the sear, place the breasts on a foil lined sheet pan, & pop into a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes - depending on the size of the breasts.

Outdoors:

Start inside - on your stovetop, gently saute the breasts over medium heat for about 5 minutes, then bring them outside to get blasted by the heat of the grill.

You'll basically just be searing the outsides to add flavor & color & to finish cooking them.

Let rest 5 minutes before cutting into them.

HTH!  Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

Along w/ your marinade, I think you need some kind of acid, like balsamic vinegar (+ EVOO & any seasoning).

When I was making my chicken in the George F, an hour or 2 beforehand, I always put it in the marinade**, then cook for a few minutes on each side, depending on how big the chick was (chicken tenders take only 2 minutes per side), and voila! Take it out of the GF and let it rest.

Always juicy & tender!

**The marinade never really covered the whole piece of chicken. I would place the chicken in the bowl, pour in the EVOO & vinegar, season one side, then turn the piece and season the other.

Esteemed Contributor

I should add that whenever I do my chicken in the oven, I always place the pieces in a little river of EVOO & melted butter, along w/ sherry, seasoning the same way....season one side, turn over in the liquid and season the other side.

And never over-bake. Usually an hour to an hour & 15 minutes for a whole pan of chicken, depending on the sizes of the meat. (My mom always baked, baked, baked, and her chicken was dry as dust.)

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Anytime I grill a chicken breast outside on the grill or inside using my George Forman Grill my chicken is always so tough and dry.  I read once to use a marinade of olive oil and some black pepper on chicken that has been flatened using a mallot, but that chicken was a tiny bit better, but still left a lot to be desired.

Went to Denny's yesterday for dinner.  Had a grilled chicken breast and it was so moist and tender.

What am I doing wrong?  Any suggestions would be much appreicated.

@BunSnoop  Chicken breasts cook very quickly.  I do flatten a breast somewhat, just to make an even thickness so it cooks evenly and baste it with whatever I like.  It's all about watching it so that it doesn't overcook which is very easy to do.

Honored Contributor

I usually only turn on the flames on one side of the grill, then I put the chicken on the other side. Basically you are then roasting the chicken and it stays moist, at the end, after it is cooked, I move it to the hot side just to get the grill marks and brown the outside. This takes about 25 to 30 min to cook a chicken breast but it's worthwhile.