Honored Contributor

Re: How do you make ham gravy?

@Biftu wrote:

I make raisin sauce.

Wow @Biftu I bet this would be great on ham.  Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

You can chop up some of the ham (especially any fat) and put 1 tablespoon of oil (your choice of oil) in a pan and fry that till crisp, that'll infuse the ham flavor into your gravy.

I just leave the crisp chopped up ham in the gravy, yum!

I absolutely love red eye gravy, especially on shrimp and grits, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Just pour some slow cooked pinto beans over it with buttered cornbread and sweet onions on the side.  That is better than gravy.  Yum!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Thank you for asking this question @AuntG  !

We smoke our ham and never have any drippings!  I always wondered what kinda 'gravy' you were suppose to make!

DH likes mashed w/ gravy....I have packets of the White Pepper Gravy from the Heartland chicken I was going to use this year, but the other recipes posted sound so good to me!

Thank you ladies for the Red Eye Gravy recipes.  I never heard of it but will def. try this Easter.

Much appreciate the time you all took to share.

@RespectLife 

That's what I thought when I read them. I have heard of red eye gravy but never ate any.

I have never seen anyone eat ham with gravy??? LOL!!!

I certaintly have not.

Honored Contributor

Interesting!  I never heard of "ham gravy."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz 

It's called 'red eye gravy' because of the coffee in it.

I don't put the gravy on the ham but it's delish over mashed potatoes, rice, biscuits and of course, grits, especially shrimp and grits, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

Thank you for asking this question @AuntG  !

We smoke our ham and never have any drippings!  I always wondered what kinda 'gravy' you were suppose to make!

DH likes mashed w/ gravy....I have packets of the White Pepper Gravy from the Heartland chicken I was going to use this year, but the other recipes posted sound so good to me!

Thank you ladies for the Red Eye Gravy recipes.  I never heard of it but will def. try this Easter.

Much appreciate the time you all took to share.

@RespectLife 

That's what I thought when I read them. I have heard of red eye gravy but never ate any.

I have never seen anyone eat ham with gravy??? LOL!!!

I certaintly have not.

@Nightowlz 

No, I never have never eaten ham w/ gravy either but always felt it needed some! 

LOL  At times, I would do a double glaze pkt if I had it and drizzle that over the ham.

Mostly, dijon or yellow mustard on our hams.

BUT as I mentioned, DH likes mashed.  I can't have mashed w/o some kinda gravy!  LOL  Just butter doesn't do it for me.  And Turkey, Brown or Chix are the only ones in my pantry....ewwww, not on ham.  Well, maybe brown....

So I switched to M&C every Easter w/ the ham.  Then I didn't miss the gravy...but DH....wants his MASHED!

I sure am going to give it a while and add the ham bits in as @KingstonsMom  suggested!  Thanks!

I have made glazes for my hams w/ mapley syrup and I have the REAL stuff from VT. so it should be yummy!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@AuntG 

Here in the deep South we call ham gravy 'Red Eye Gravy':

One 3-pound country ham, store bought, sliced

2 tablespoons fat from the ham

1/2 cup coffee

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons butter

1 beef bouillon cube (optional)

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fat from the ham and render. When the fat is rendered, add the ham steaks and pan-fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove the ham from the pan and set aside on a plate and keep warm. To the pan, add the coffee and water and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the butter and the bouillon cube and stir to incorporate.

@KingstonsMom 

TYY for posting!

Sure ate a bunch of this over homemade, yummy, buttermilk biscuits as a child.

Was hesitant to post as it is pretty much fat & coffee. 😏�

Never be ashamed of, or try to get above your raising.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

Ham gravy is made the same way you would make pork chop gravy, only you begin by frying a slice of ham.  We call them ham steaks around here.

Honored Contributor

All your answers are appreciated. Not being a Southerner, red eye gravy was a new term to me. I think my mom made hers like @chrystaltree but I have so few drippings. Still, it can't hurt to try.