Honored Contributor

That's my dilemma. I don't make canned ham, just the average grocery store variety and never had enough juices to make into gravy. When I basted the ham with the packet provided in the bag, the flavor would not have made a tasty gravy.

Super Contributor

Re: How do you make ham gravy?

I found "Better than Boullion" for Ham to add to soup or some type of gravy/sauce... Check out your supermarket by the soup section or order on line.. Might help.. I don't remember if I found it shopping or ordered... Check it out...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make some gravy with bacon grease or butter.

About 2 tablespoons bacon grease or butter plus 2 tablespoons flour, 2 cups milk. Whisk bacon grease or butter with flour, add the milk & whisk, bring up to a boil than reduce heat & let it simmer 5-10 mins until it thickens. If you fried bacon for the grease you can crumble the bacon in your gravy.

If you do have some juices in the pan from your ham you can use those & add enough bacon grease or butter to make 2 tablespoons.

If nothing else McCormick's makes a nice white gravy in a packets you can just add water. They also make a pork, turkey, chicken brown etc.

I use these sometimes when I make sausage gravy. One package is enough for 1 lb sausage.

McCapture.PNG

Honored Contributor

I sometimes make a red-eye gravy recipe from Cook's Illustrated to have with leftover ham:

1 tbsp bacon grease

2 tbsp chopped onion

1 tsp flour

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 tbsp maple syrup

3 tbsp butter

2 tsp instant espresso powder

Brown onion in melted bacon grease over medium heat for a minute.  Stir in flour.  Whisk in broth and syrup, and simmer to reduce until slightly thickened.  

Whisk in butter and espresso powder off heat.   

Honored Contributor

@AuntG 

Here in the deep South we call ham gravy 'Red Eye Gravy':

One 3-pound country ham, store bought, sliced

2 tablespoons fat from the ham

1/2 cup coffee

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons butter

1 beef bouillon cube (optional)

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fat from the ham and render. When the fat is rendered, add the ham steaks and pan-fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove the ham from the pan and set aside on a plate and keep warm. To the pan, add the coffee and water and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the butter and the bouillon cube and stir to incorporate.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Bring ham drippings to a boil.
Mix flour and water to make a runny paste.
Pour flour/water mix in boiling ham drippings a little at a time making sure to be whisking the same time. ...
Add salt and gravy master to taste and color.

Honored Contributor

Allrecipes has a good recipe for ham with red eye gravy as well.  Not my thing but a lot of people like it.

If you are cooking (or warming) a ham by package directions then to my way of thinking it doesn't get hot enough to render out enough of the fat and get it moving out of the ham.

I either cook it a little longer or hotter to get more of that fat into grease and out of it. 

Valued Contributor

My mother used to baste the ham w/a combination of mustard, pineapple juice and then poor some ginger ale over it. Gave her enough juices to thicken to a gravy. 

Esteemed Contributor

I make raisin sauce.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for asking this question @AuntG  !

We smoke our ham and never have any drippings!  I always wondered what kinda 'gravy' you were suppose to make!

DH likes mashed w/ gravy....I have packets of the White Pepper Gravy from the Heartland chicken I was going to use this year, but the other recipes posted sound so good to me!

Thank you ladies for the Red Eye Gravy recipes.  I never heard of it but will def. try this Easter.

Much appreciate the time you all took to share.