Respected Contributor

Re: How do you cook your cabbage?

On 3/15/2015 misspammie said:
On 3/14/2015 sunshine45 said:
On 3/14/2015 Carmie said:

I don't like corned beef and cabbage, so I don't make it.

I do make fried cabbage though. I love to throw cooked pasta bow ties in with the fried cabbage. It's a truly wonderful side dish.

that is a good idea.....i will try it sometime with my sauteed cabbage!

If you throw a little onion into this and dab of sugar and tons of butter (all to one's taste) you'll have made Halushki. Love this. It's Ukranian/Polish dish. Fry cabbage (butter), cook noodles and drain and add, can use onions if desired. that's it,,,delicious!!! Halushki noodles are available, but usually use just NoYolk or some fat noodle.

one of my favorites! I sometimes add cooked bacon too.

Respected Contributor

Halushki sounds awesome!
Occasional Contributor

I finely chop the cabbage ( use the grater option in kitchen-aid food processor otherwise) add 1 tbsp of oil, half cup of carrots and peas for 1 1/2 cups of cabbage. Sauté both together on medium flame till tender. Top with a dash of fresh grated ginger root and a tablespoon of coconut powder ( unsweetened) - comes out delicious Smiley Happy Edit : salt and pepper (optional) according to preference
Respected Contributor

I cook my cabbage in a bit of bacon grease and beer, just enough to steam it well, then top with bacon. As for the ham, ours are usually smoked, so I bake them just long enouh to glaze it well with bourbon, brown sugar, and butter. If it is a fresh ham, i bake it with the same glaze just till done. I like the idea of just sauteeing it in butter or olive oil. I've got two heads of cabbage and brussel sprouts that I will roast the sprouts and sautee the cabbage.
Respected Contributor

Rinse c.b. well.

Place in clear water and boil the water then lower heat and simmer the corned beef changing the water twice to remove the salt. I add the pickling spices in a tea strainer and drop it into the food to simmer. I leave it in as the c.b. simmers and I change the water 2X to remove the excess salt.

Then I like to either use a Reynold's large oven bag and place 1 tablespoon flour into the bag and shake it to distribute the flour evenly.

I add some pepper, nutmeg and allspice to my veggies to flavor them before adding into the Reynold's oven bag and seal it closed.

Next I add the corned beef on top of sliced round onion rings, and around the c.b. I place the cabbage wedges, baby carrots, and potatoes...if new red tiny potatoes I leave the skin on and use them whole. If larger I still scrub well leave the skin on and quarter them.

If using Russets I peel the skin and quarter them.

Then I add 1/2 cup water mixed with 1/2 cup of Guinness stout to the bag, seal it well with the tie included in the box. (Some love Guinness Stout, and we do).

I slow roast at 300 degrees for 90 minutes until fork tender and I do lower the degrees to 300 degrees to really slow roast the meat. Many times my c.b. is larger than 2 1/2 lbs so I roast it until it is fork tender and is cooked through and registers with a therma pen instant digital read thermometer that it is ready to be served.

I then remove the meat and everything from the Reynold's oven bag and leave in the pan without the oven bag. I cover the pan with foil and leave it alone for about 1 hour.

You can either serve it right away thereafter, or can prepare it 1 day in advance and then wrap in foil and refrigerate overnight.

Slicing for sandwiches the next day will be easier and then you can reheat it with the veggies in the saved c.b. broth which is leftover.

Remember cabbage will have loads of water so do not add more than 1 cup liquid total.

You want to tenderly steam the c.b. until it is cooked thoroughly and becomes fork tender, and you do not want your food to boil in too much liquid. The veggies will also slowly steam and flavor the c.b. and be quite delicious.