Valued Contributor

Re: How do you cook your cabbage?

Love it on the grill. Cut in wedges, put on a sheet of aluminum foil along with some butter and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Wrap tightly, and place on grill turning often to prevent burning. Depending on grill, usually around 30 minutes. It steams and browns up nicely. Delish!!Smile

Honored Contributor

I don't like corned beef and cabbage, so I don't make it.

I do make fried cabbage though. I love to throw cooked pasta bow ties in with the fried cabbage. It's a truly wonderful side dish.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/11/2015 DogLvr said:

Cabbage needs to be steamed! Do not set it in liquid and boil.

This! Cabbage releases enough water on its own.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I cut it in slices along with an onion I chop up and put it on a cookie sheet. Then I add olive oil, garlic and lemon pepper. I roast it in the oven at 425 degrees for forty five minutes. A lot

of times I will also slice up small roasting potatoes with it.

Honored Contributor

i saute mine in butter or bacon grease.......lots of freshly ground pepper and sea salt, a bit of garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of saffron. i like when it gets browned and a bit "caramelized."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Carmie said:

I don't like corned beef and cabbage, so I don't make it.

I do make fried cabbage though. I love to throw cooked pasta bow ties in with the fried cabbage. It's a truly wonderful side dish.

that is a good idea.....i will try it sometime with my sauteed cabbage!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I've never tried fried cabbage before, but it sounds really good.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I discovered this recipe a couple of years ago on Cooks.com. They call it Smothered Cabbage; I call it Drunken Cabbage.

4 or 5 slices bacon or salt pork
1 head cabbage, chopped
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Fry bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove, drain and crumble. Add cabbage to skillet a little at a time. Allow to wilt after each addition. Add vinegar, sugar and pepper. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until soft. Stir in bacon just before serving. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 DogLvr said:

Cabbage needs to be steamed! Do not set it in liquid and boil.

Second gen Irish, and i TOTALLY agree. Steamed cabbage can hold its own against the strong meat flavors of corned beef or ham. Boiled cabbage can't hold its own against anything!
Respected Contributor

My southern family slices it in medium and cooks it in a little water to make plenty of pot likker .We add a little sprinkle of sugar and black pepper.We used to cook it withsome fat back grease, but not anymore..lol .I like to eat it on cornbread with lots of the pot likker. For corned beef and cabbage,it's a whole different recipe.