Honored Contributor

Re: Help please...mashed potatoes

I prefer to get a bag of russet potatoes.  I drain the peeled cubes as soon as the water turns milky or at 20 minutes.

Usually, I use real butter and a lot of sour cream.  They're ultra fluffy!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to steam (this prevents them from getting watery) Yukon golds.  They seem to be naturally more flavorful and creamy (and I love the color).  I then add equal parts of butter, milk or cream and sour cream and lots of salt and pepper to taste.  It is a once or twice a year treat so I don’t skimp on the fat.  My family likes a lump here and there , not baby food, so I just mash.  So quick and easy.  I never dId understand instant.

Contributor

This is the way I do mine now.  I used to use real potatoes and go thru the monkey motion of peeling, boiling and them creaming them.

I have now found a much better and easy way to do them.  I think!

I use IDAHOAN BABY REDS.  I think they are the best and they are really good we think.

It calls for 2 cups boiling water.  I use 1-1/2 cups boiling water.  Than I had a half stick

butter and the contents of the package.  I whisk them up and add seasoned pepper to

them.  Then I add 1/2 cup milk to them.  We think they come out really good and so easy

to do. They really taste good also.  Not like the old instant potatoes from years ago

Trusted Contributor

Russets steamed then mashed with some butter and cream. Lots of salt and pepper. Sometimes I’ll roast a head of garlic and squeeze out the cloves and mash that with the spuds especially as a side for steaks.
Trusted Contributor

Russets steamed then mashed with some butter and cream. Lots of salt and pepper. Sometimes I’ll roast a head of garlic and squeeze out the cloves and mash that with the spuds especially as a side for steaks.
Never instant! They are revolting 🤢