Honored Contributor

Re: Help Please - Pulled Chicken in Crock Pot

[ Edited ]

One thing to remember with newer crock pots is that they cook much hotter than older ones.  She specified 150 degrees for a reason, so make sure your crock pot cooks at that temperature.  If not, you will need to reduce the cooking time.

That amount of water says to me that she's poaching the chicken in the crock pot.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop  

Time: 5 minutes prep + 4-8 hours crock pot cooking
Yield: 10 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

4 pounds chicken breasts
1 t chicken bullion granules
3/4 C water
1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning

You can look up the instructions at the Jamie cooks it up website.

Respected Contributor

The McCormick spice company makes a seasoning packet  especially for pulled chicken that is easy,  convenient and tastes good.  (I use many of the McCormick seasoning packets  for all types of slow  and regular cooking--chlli, tacos, pulled pork, beef stew, beef pot roast, etc.) 

The package has all the directions you need, and after years of hit or miss while trying seasoning recipes from scratch, the McCormick stuff is the only way to go, for me.

As part of its Grill Mates brand  of seasonings, which includes Montreal Steak Seasoning, McCormick also makes one especially  for chicken that should be good.  I've had some around for quite a while but haven't used it yet.

Trusted Contributor

Some more great suggestions.  Gosh you're all great.....thank you!!

Honored Contributor

I do a chicken in the crock pot that I pour a jar of salsa over and that is it. I use skinless breasts, let it cook for a few hours than shred it up and add a dollup of sour cream or even cream cheese. Taste it and adjust seasonings. I use it in many things--burritos, tacos, enchiladas and tamales, even under fried eggs and topped with guac. Then put it  in a tortilla soup. So good and so easy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chicken breast for 12 hours in a crock pot?  

It would be worse than shoe leather.

And if you are going to put that much water in it, there is no purpose for using the rack, the chicken would be submerged.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking that it was suppose to be 3/4 cup of water???  Also, you leave the water in it and shred the chicken in the water or do you drain it?  I'd do a search for a new recipe for cooking instructions only.  I don't think that one is complete. But use the spices in above mentioned in your new recipe.

Honored Contributor

Adding the jar of salsa is just the amount of liquid to cook the chicken in and not for 12 hours---maybe 4 hours---my new-ish crock pot runs hot. Also I dont use a rack; I want the salsa to soak into the meat. And I shred up the meat in the crock pot with the liquid and add the sour cream or cream cheese.

Trusted Contributor

Hi MIMA - you gave some really good suggestions.  I wonder if it was 3/4 cup water rather than fill 3/4 fill with water - I agree that would make more sense.  

I think I will try to use some of the suggestions that I received from the others, and I like your idea of using the spices from my original recipe.

I plan to "test" it out this weekend on my hubby!!