Trusted Contributor

Help Please - Pulled Chicken in Crock Pot

A friend I worked with many years ago, and I have lost contact with, made for a luncheon pulled chicken in a crock pot.  I was soooo good.  I asked for a copy of the recipe, but she just told me what to do.     Does the recipe make sense to you - she said to "put a rack on bottom" of crock pot."  My crock pot did not come with a rack.  Do you think it would work without one - or any suggestions:

Ingredients:

sea salt, garlic powder oregeo, McCormick Mesquite Seasoning for Chicken, olive oil, 1 whole chicken and 2 breasts.  (she did not give any measurement amounts for the seasonings)

Directions:

Drizzle  olive oil over chicken.  Put a rack on bottom of crock pot, put chicken on rack and breast on top.  Fill 3/4 with water.  Cook 150 degrees for 12 hours.  Pull chicken with forks.

Have you made something similar?  Does it sound right?  Any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm going to have some friends over in a few weeks for just a casual get together and thought I would try it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help Please - Pulled Chicken in Crock Pot

@BunSnoop

This is the kind of rack she was probably talking about.

Image result for chicken roaster rack

Honored Contributor

The purpose of the rack is to simply raise the chicken off the bottom of the cooker.  ANY small rack will do the job, or you can use canning jar rings, jar lids, metal cookie cutters, probably even aluminum foil.  

The recipe sounds really basic and simple.  Sprinkle the seasoning over until it looks good to you.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never filled my crock pot 3/4 full of water......sounds like alot....and 12 hours sounds like a long time....but since i've never made anything like this in a crock pot, it is just my opinion....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make a test meal once before trying it for guests. You'll know what adjustments to make and it will be perfect when it counts. Chicken in a slow cooker probably can't be ruined, but to see how close it comes to the one you found so delicious, it sometimes takes a couple of tries. 

Recipe and instructions all made sense, though I think it's too much water. Double check that?  I'm sure it will be delicious and you will be getting compliments.  Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

You can buy a rack on Amazon for cheap, but I don't think you need one.  I'd probably turn the chicken about half way through.

That sounds like a lot of water to me.  Croc pots don't typically require much water.  I wouldn't use more than 1/2 c water per lb of chicken.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like potted or stewed chicken to me.

I have used this recepie, I have aldo just thrown the chicken brasts in the rok pot wiht BBQ sauce and its great

Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches (Crock Pot)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours

Ingredients

1 (12 ounce) jar Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
2 T Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
5 chicken breasts, about 2 1/2-3 pounds (frozen is fine)
2 T butter
8 ranch type rolls
8 slices cheddar cheese
Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing
Shredded Lettuce or chopped celery

Instructions

1. Grab a jar of Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce and some Hidden Valley Ranch Mix.
2. Pour the hot sauce into a sauce pan and add 2 tablespoons of the powdered Ranch Mix. Give it a nice stir so the ingredients become well combined. Heat it on the stove until its bubbly.
3. Spray a 3-4 quart crock pot (or larger) with cooking spray and place 5 chicken breasts into it (I used frozen). Pour the hot sauce mixture over the top of the chicken. Isn't that a gorgeous color of orange!
4. Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 7 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
5. Shred the chicken with two forks and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Give it a nice stir to combine.
6. Slice some nice crusty ranch style rolls and place some chicken on top. Add a slice or two of cheddar cheese. Yum. Don't leave the cheese off, it's so great!
Spread a bit of Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing onto the sandwich and top it off with a little bit of shredded lettuce. You could even add some chopped celery if you are looking for more of a crunch.

Recipe originally from Let’s Dish

Pinterest friendly image below…

Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Sandwich from Jamie Cooks It Up!

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I don't have a rack when we do the pulled pork for sandwiches. I'd try it first before company comes. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone for your help - much apprecipated!

Trusted Contributor

Hi @BunSnoop,

It sounds really good, but I definitely agree with the others that the quantity of water in the recipe sounds "off."

I agree in that you don't need that much liquid in the recipe.

I usually don't add too much liquid to a slow cooker recipe unless I'm making some kind of stew-type of a recipe, or a soup.

Otherwise, you can end up with too much liquid with your meat or recipe, and it will turn out too soupy.