Health bread

2 pkgs of active dry yeast

1/2 cup warm water

I cup rolled oats

1 cup wheat bran

3 tbsp. oil - I use sunflower

1 cup raisins

2 3/4 cups boiling water

3/4 cup blackstrap molasses (or half with honey mixed)

1 cup whole wheat flour

Around 7 cups King Arthur Flour

Soften yeast in warm water. Combine next six ingredients: cool to lukewarm. Add softened yeast and molasses. Stir in whole wheat flour to make a soft dough. I knead this in a big tupperware pan until the flour doesn't stick to my hands. Then I grease another big tupperware bowl and put the dough in it, let it rise till double in size, about an hour or so. I put that bowl over a bowl of hot water to help it get warm enough to rise. (That is my trick, not necessary tho.) Punch down, divide in half, roll into two balls, cover let rest 10 min. Shape into loaves and put in pans - let rise till doublel - bakggse in moderate oven - 350 degrees for 55 min. or convection bake 300 degrees for 45 min.. This is the one my girls grew up with. I've given these out for gifts too.

Oatmeal Bread

2 1/2 cups boiling water

1 1/3 cup Oatmeal

2 pkg. yeast

1/2 cup warm water

2 eggs

1/3 cup olive or sunflower oil

1/2 cup molasses

8 cups of flour (King Arthur)

1. Let boiling water and oatmeal stand 10 min.

2. Let yeast and warm water stand 10 min.

3. Beat eggs and add to oatmeal. Add oil, and molasses. Knead around 10 min. or so

4. Cover and let rise about an hour. Punch down. Cut into 4 parts. Form into balls and let rest on table 15 min. Shape into loaves and put into pans. Let rise until doubled (2 1/2 hours).

5. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 min.

Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

When you have some in the oven let me know.

i will bring some homemade jam and tea.

Honored Contributor

That Health Bread sounds so good....I love raisins and black strap molasses in a whole wheat bread! Thanks for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

I made the Health Bread today, got it cut up with electric knife and put in freezer except for the loaf we will enjoy with supper tonight. I made 3 loaves.  Friday I made 3 loaves of Oatmeal bread. Good to be back making bread again after my fall in Feb. with some cracked ribs etc.. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Health Bread

[ Edited ]

@gloriajean wrote:

I made the Health Bread today, got it cut up with electric knife and put in freezer except for the loaf we will enjoy with supper tonight. I made 3 loaves.  Friday I made 3 loaves of Oatmeal bread. Good to be back making bread again after my fall in Feb. with some cracked ribs etc.. 

So sorry about your cracked ribs. I fell in March of 2020 and cracked 4 ribs. Having babies hurt less. It took me quite awhile to recover. Hope you're feeling better.

Good for you to be making fresh bread. I like to make up a few loaves at a time and freeze the dough prior to proofing and then pull out when I want to have fresh bread. 

Thank you for sharing your recipes. Next time I go shopping I need to buy some supplies to try your healthy versions. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."