Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you gotten rid of your cookbooks?

You will pry my cookbooks from my cold, dead hands! I have well over 1,000 cookbooks now. DH gave me a beautiful oak bookcase, but they don't all fit. I have cookbooks in boxes under the bed, in the computer room closet, and in the basement. But I can tell you which book is in what box. 

It's my addiction. People have been addicted to worse. We don't worry about it. 

(And all DH really cares about is....whether the cookbook has cookies in it. Then he's a happy camper, too.)

Honored Contributor

Yup......I quit cooking.    If this heat wave keeps up, I'm gonna quit eating

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I just sold my mountain cabin up north, so my small garag...

I just sold my mountain cabin up north, so my small garage in town is full of boxes and it's making me crazy trying to decide what to keep and what to discard. The box of cookbooks is one of them, and books take up a lot of space.I don't like to cook so it should be a no brainier, so why am I hesitant to part with them ! I know for sure, I don't want to part with my moms old Betty Crocker one, she wrote notes in hers also.
Honored Contributor

I have gotten rid of a lot of mine. Not enough life left to make all those recipes. Plus we eat differently now, less even. I kept the most treasured, most used, dear-to-my-heart ones. Donated the rest of them. Now I have more "book room". I used to read them as novels too. I do love the ones I have left. Downsized, and made room for other books that now apply more to how we eat now.

Honored Contributor

No, I still have quite a few.  I do admit that I don't use them much.  More often than not I will go on-line if I am searching for something new, easy or more healthy to prepare.

I think I keep them for the most part beause I love looking at them and they make me feel a level of nostalgia for days gone by!  Of how things used to be.  They bring me some type of comfort when I do look at them.  I remember of how when I was very young and my mother was a young housewife and she would consult them and I would look at them with her.  Nice memories.  I can't give them up.  And I love the beautiful pictures!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I purged my collection and only kept the ones nearest to my heart. I love vintage cookbooks and I'll never get rid of those.  I love to peruse them, and I'll make a vintage recipe from time to time, but more likely, when I need a recipe, I turn to the Internet.

I also like the Gooseberry Patch books that another forum member recommended a couple of years ago.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

This is harder for me than clothes.  I simply HAVE to cull more (notice not "some"--MORE!) and it is hard hard hard.  Wonder why?  I think I cling to them because my family is gone now and somehow it comforts me to look at them.  BUT, I HAVE to get rid of some of these!  Support me in this will 'ya?  Woman Frustrated

Well I can send you my address, will that help? Smiley Wink

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I was surprised to hear how many of you are so attached to your cookbooks.  I never seem to use mine but can't seem to get rid of them.  Maybe I'm more attached to them than I thought.

Probably an illness.   Many things I make I look up the recipe in several of my cookbooks and pick and choose what I think should go in what I'm making.  LOL

~~
Honored Contributor

I may have divorced back in 1999 after 18 years of marriage but I will never part with The Better Homes And Garden cookbook I bought just prior to my wedding. 

All the stains inside and out of the book and the extremely used appearance of it represents so many trial/error and successes of our beginning couple dinners  to our family dinners later with our son.

Still good memories there and I still pull out to contribute to Thanksgiving ect........

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

One of my favorites is a Trinity Lutheran Church cookbook I've had since 1987.   Many comfort foods in it for me.

~~