Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you gotten rid of your cookbooks?

I could get rid of the family more easily than I could get rid of my cookboks!  Some people collect stamps, some do needlework, I collect recipes.  I enjoy just browsing through the cookbooks, especially the old ones and the odd ones, to see how other people lived and how their tastes were.  I'll never get to travel everywhere and taste exotic specialties, so I settle for mental tastings through cookbooks.  The cookbook tables are still my first stop at the local Book Fairs. (I don't have the patience to go to yard sales.)

Regular Contributor

No way have I gotten rid of cookbooks-and I never will. I use them more than ever. Do I use the internet to find recipes?  Sure.  But the old way has worked for me this long so I'm not going to change it.

I love love LOVE cookbooks and agree with HoneyBit-that's the first thing I look for at book sales, yard sales and flea markets.  I have well over 200 cookbooks in my collection (not counting cooking magazines and such) and they all have a place in book cases.

I read cookbooks like some read novels.....and use them all the time.

Carol

Honored Contributor

This is harder for me than clothes.  I simply HAVE to cull more (notice not "some"--MORE!) and it is hard hard hard.  Wonder why?  I think I cling to them because my family is gone now and somehow it comforts me to look at them.  BUT, I HAVE to get rid of some of these!  Support me in this will 'ya?  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

This is harder for me than clothes.  I simply HAVE to cull more (notice not "some"--MORE!) and it is hard hard hard.  Wonder why?  I think I cling to them because my family is gone now and somehow it comforts me to look at them.  BUT, I HAVE to get rid of some of these!  Support me in this will 'ya?  Woman Frustrated

One way to do it is to go through your cookbooks and anyone that know you will never cook from and have no sentimental attachment to, put in a box. Then, give yourself a certain amount of time, say, 3 months or even longer and anything you haven't removed from the box in that amount of time goes to donation. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

No, but I probably should.  It seems that somewhere between 99.99 and 100% of the time I go to my binder of recipes that are either mine or some I've gotten from here or there over the years.

Respected Contributor

I have gotten rid of most of mine. I am not much of a cook, baker, whatever.   I have kept my old copy of The Joy of Cooking, an old Polish one and one by Alton Brown.  Most of my recipes I gather are from family, friends or on the internet.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Carol.  Never.  Actually, per a recommendation by gardenman, purchased the Model Bakery book last week.  Woowie Zoowie - great baking recipes!

Esteemed Contributor

I was surprised to hear how many of you are so attached to your cookbooks.  I never seem to use mine but can't seem to get rid of them.  Maybe I'm more attached to them than I thought.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I tried to cull my collection when we moved a few years ago.  I have amassed a nice accumulation of antique, or nearly so, cookbooks. Once I started researching their values, one book after the other was being set aside for keeping. I eventually realized, “Oh, who am I fooling?” and gave up entirely. Every book was packed and moved with us.  Woman Embarassed

I will add, though, that I do not intend to acquire any more, new or otherwise.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I got rid of all the ones that I was saving because I make one or 2 recipes out of them.

I made copies of the recipes and put them in a notebook and donated the books.

I am careful about the ones I buy so I don't buy them unless I know I'm going to make a lot of recipes from them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN