Respected Contributor

Hasselback Potatoes Any Tips

I am planning on making basic hasselback potatoes today for DH & myself.  Never made them before.  I have previewed Google, but just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Hasselback Potatoes Any Tips

I love to make these!  I place my potato on a wooden spoon, the bowl part, and slice them.  It helps me from making a complete slice through the potato.    And be sure to use a very sharp knife.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Make sure potatoes are totally dry so they can become crisp.

Pre heat pan with oven to insure crispness.

Also don't forget salt.

Regular Contributor

I remember seeing this on a cooking show one time, maybe it was when The Chew used to be on? Anyway, pats of butter were placed in between the cuts along with your seasonings such as salt and pepper.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I love to make these!  I place my potato on a wooden spoon, the bowl part, and slice them.  It helps me from making a complete slice through the potato.    And be sure to use a very sharp knife.  

That's a good tip.  I put the potatoes on a baking sheet and sprinkle minced garlic between the slices.  Then I put some pieces of butter on top of the potatoes.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake at 425 degrees for about an hour until crispy.

Respected Contributor

Wow.  Thank you everyone.  I need to be minimal with the spices, as DH doesn't have an adventurous palate, alas garlic gives him heartburn.

I am a little concerned leaving the peels left on may not be his cup of tea, so I am going to do a couple of plain baked potatoes also.

My simple menu will be filet mignon, the potatoes, Stouffer's corn souffle and Nature Sweet constellation tomatoes and sliced English cucumber.

Happy 4th everyone no matter where you are or what you eat!

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I am planning on making basic hasselback potatoes today for DH & myself.  Never made them before.  I have previewed Google, but just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions.  

I bought a slicer kit from Amazon, and use butter in between the splits and generously sprinkle with Old Bay garlic and herb seasoning, it from Amazon too. I suppose you could also use a cheese to sprinkle, I've never tried it, but why not. I love them,also use the Old Bay on other things.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny 

Never have made hasselback potatoes before but have several recipes saved for when I do.

Posted below is one unusual version that calls for peeling potatoes and then poaching them in liquid.

Other more traditional versions call for adding toppings  to baked unpeeled potatoes, such as crisp chopped bacon, chives, sour cream, thyme, rosemary, parmesan cheese or cheddar cut into thin strips, and using olive oil instead of butter.

POTATOES BOULANGERE for 10-12 servings

(Easily cut down in size for smaller groups)

12 medium-size russet potatoes, peeled and pared

6 cups chicken stock

4 oz. butter unsalted, cut into 8 pieces

Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Slice through potatoes every quarter-inch taking care not to slice all the way through.

Put chicken stock, butter and potatoes in large baking pan.

Poach in oven, basting occasionally, for 45 minutes to an hour until potatoes are easily pierced.  They should be lightly brown and slices should fan slightly.  

Remove from liquid.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 Thank you. I am going to try your recipe. I think DH would like it, especially because the potatoes are peeled.