Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Tried Ras El Hanout ?

It's a North African spice mix.  I've never heard of it before but I have two recipes I'd like to try.  I'm wondering if it's too spicy.

Here's what Wiki has to say:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_el_hanout

The bottom line seems to be the mixes can be very different.

JX0A0537

Super Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Tried Ras El Hanout ?

Interesting.

I'm always looking for new spices to try with relatively bland veggies, such as cauliflower.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

@TeezNu

I like to try new spices, too.  The last time I made a Middle Eastern dish the spices were overwhelming, so I thought I'd ask this time around Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope you don't mind me butting in here but for those that are interested in trying different or more exotic spices there is a great site that was recommended by someone on these boards (and I so wish I could remember who it was to thank them!) but if you go to myspicesage dot com you can purchase small amounts of spices to take out for a test drive.  I needed beet powder for a recipe so I was glad for this option and the recipe came out great but let's face it, I don't think I'll be using beet powder until I make that recipe again.

I think you have to order maybe $10 worth of spices for free s&h and you also get to select a couple of spices to try for free as well with your order so I find the site to have great value and their spices are delicious!  I really couldn't recommend them more.

@Noel7

@TeezNu

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

Oh, how exciting!  What a great resource, mtc. Just read your post to my daughter, she and I will look into it tonight.

She reminded me of the time she made something with a sumac mix and we all got sick to our stomach, blech.  One of the two reasons I am leary of trying unusual spices, lol.

Thank you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@momtochloe

Oh, how exciting!  What a great resource, mtc. Just read your post to my daughter, she and I will look into it tonight.

She reminded me of the time she made something with a sumac mix and we all got sick to our stomach, blech.  One of the two reasons I am leary of trying unusual spices, lol.

Thank you Smiley Happy

I think you would really enjoy researching and perhaps ordering from them @Noel7 as their array of spices if almost mindboggling.

What I like is ordering samples of things that I have no clue as to what they are about but I have seen in other recipes so I was intrigued.  Again, they are a great site to order from/work with and those samples are the bomb!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe the sumac thing was probably Zaatar, which I persoonally like a lot...great with oil dipped bread1

the Ras El Harout I have tried is rather "sweet", but prehaps not all blends are...

Respected Contributor

That spice is delicious on Moroccan and Ethiopian recipes.

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@momtochloe the sumac thing was probably Zaatar, which I persoonally like a lot...great with oil dipped bread1

the Ras El Harout I have tried is rather "sweet", but prehaps not all blends are...

@Mothertrucker

I bought some Zaatar but haven't tried it yet.  Thanks for mentioning the sweet taste with Ras El Harout.

One of the recipes is for a marinade and the other is for the shrimp in a salad.  From my favorite skinny cook, who has been on Q with David, Gina at skinnytaste.com .

Honored Contributor

@adoreqvc wrote:

That spice is delicious on Moroccan and Ethiopian recipes.

Hi @adoreqvc

Thank you for letting me know Smiley Happy