Respected Contributor

French Onion Soup Meat Loaf w/Mashed Potato Topping LOW CARB-ish

I don't know how long it's been there, but I found this recipe among my files while trying to compile a menu for the week. This is the first David Venable recipe I've tried.  Oh my!  Are all his recipes this good?  Woman Surprised  DH was a happy man this evening at the table.  

For the two of us, I halved it, and still have enough for large meatloaf sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.  I used a slice of Italian bread for the crumbs, that's 12 carbs.  Remembering that onions add carbs, I used half of a small one in the meatloaf, then drained what little bit was left of the onions from the Tuscan Onion Soup.  I put those onions on top, between the mashed potatoes and Gruyère.  I used 2 Idahoes to make the mashed potatoes, but did not use all of it.

DH's guideline meal examples allow him a full cup of potatoes, and I know he didn't have nearly that much on his slice of meatloaf. With half a plate of salad, a quarter in green beans, then this meat loaf, I think we stayed well inside his 60 carb limit.   This was a delicious meal.  "Try it, you'll like it!"  Woman Happy

French Onion Soup Meat Loaf with Mashed Potato Topping
QVC Community Boards; Recipe from David Venable

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 package dry onion soup mix
2 eggs
2 slices of bread, crumbled
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

2-1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese

Mix all the ingredients except the potatoes and cheese. Shape into a loaf.

Bake for 1-1/2 hours at 350ºF.   During the last 20 minutes, spread potatoes over the meat loaf and top with grated Gruyère cheese.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: French Onion Soup Meat Loaf w/Mashed Potato Topping LOW CARB-ish

@IamMrsG wrote:

I don't know how long it's been there, but I found this recipe among my files while trying to compile a menu for the week. This is the first David Venable recipe I've tried.  Oh my!  Are all his recipes this good?  Woman Surprised  DH was a happy man this evening at the table.  

For the two of us, I halved it, and still have enough for large meatloaf sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.  I used a slice of Italian bread for the crumbs, that's 12 carbs.  Remembering that onions add carbs, I used half of a small one in the meatloaf, then drained what little bit was left of the onions from the Tuscan Onion Soup.  I put those onions on top, between the mashed potatoes and Gruyère.  I used 2 Idahoes to make the mashed potatoes, but did not use all of it.

DH's guideline meal examples allow him a full cup of potatoes, and I know he didn't have nearly that much on his slice of meatloaf. With half a plate of salad, a quarter in green beans, then this meat loaf, I think we stayed well inside his 60 carb limit.   This was a delicious meal.  "Try it, you'll like it!"  Woman Happy

French Onion Soup Meat Loaf with Mashed Potato Topping
QVC Community Boards; Recipe from David Venable

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 package dry onion soup mix
2 eggs
2 slices of bread, crumbled
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

2-1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese

Mix all the ingredients except the potatoes and cheese. Shape into a loaf.

Bake for 1-1/2 hours at 350ºF.   During the last 20 minutes, spread potatoes over the meat loaf and top with grated Gruyère cheese.

Oh my goodness @IamMrsG you have no idea how glad I am that you posted this recipe as it is totally up my alley and looks delicious . . . thank you my friend!

Honored Contributor

Personally, I can't stand mash potatoes to be mixed w/any meats.  That being said.....

The meat loaf receipe looks very appitizing.  Will give it a try w/o the mash potatoes of course.  Thanks for posting it.

SIDEBAR:  When I complain about "vegetables" mixing w/meats, my mother always says, "it's all going down the same pipe & settling in the same place." icon_exclaim.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  Go for it -- this is delicious!  I’m glad I posted it–I almost didn’t. As I said ahead of the recipe, it’s been in my files for who knows how long, so I was half afraid everybody else would have already known it.

@Mz iMac  You brought back an old memory. Decades ago we had a guest for dinner who made it perfectly clear beforehand that he was sensitive and could not tolerate any two items touching on his plate.  All foods had to be kept separate for him. Then, wouldn’t you know he put out a cigarette in his dinner plate (my good china plate) afterwards?!  I could have pulverized him.  Woman Mad

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@momtochloe  Go for it -- this is delicious!  I’m glad I posted it–I almost didn’t. As I said ahead of the recipe, it’s been in my files for who knows how long, so I was half afraid everybody else would have already known it.

@Mz iMac  You brought back an old memory. Decades ago we had a guest for dinner who made it perfectly clear beforehand that he was sensitive and could not tolerate any two items touching on his plate.  All foods had to be kept separate for him. Then, wouldn’t you know he put out a cigarette in his dinner plate (my good china plate) afterwards?!  I could have pulverized him.  Woman Mad

@IamMrsG I have to say I would always love to be invited to dine at your table but when that cretin showed up and after barking orders and then used said plate as an ash tray you wouldn't have had to pulverize him as I would have taken care of that for you . . . good heaven's what is wrong with people?

Thank you for always posting your wonderful recipes!  Heart