Regular Contributor

HEY Tabbychic......re: your recent request for a recipe for Lemon "Stuff"......try this one.

You didn't mention if what you tasted had any fruit in it or not. Did it?

Anyways, here's my recipe for what my kids call "Orange Stuff". They love it. Everyone does. I see no reason why you couldn't use lemon jello instead of the orange.

Orange Compote Salad, or "Orange Stuff"

1 - 3oz pkg. vanilla pudding the cook type

1 - 3 oz. pkg. vanilla tapioca pudding the cook type

1 - 3 oz. pkg orange jello (you would use lemon)

3 cups boiling water

1 - tall can crushed pineapple, drained well and save the juice

1 - tall can mandarin oranges, drained) You would skip this for lemon stuff

1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Combine in saucepan the puddings and jello. Add the boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, until thick. It takes several minutes. It doesn't get like paste, but thickens nicely.

Pour this into a bowl and cool completely. I cheat and put it in the fridge, stirring every few minutes to help it along and so it doesn't get lumpy on me. When cooled, add the crushed pineapple which you've drained very very well, along with 2 Tblsp. of the saved juice and fold carefully in the oranges.

Then fold in the whipped cream. Chill well before serving. Made the day before is perfect.

I once made it with Cool Whip instead of fresh whppping cream, and we didn't like the texture of it at all. It was kinda like pastey-globby, so I never did that again!

I hope you'll try it beccause you wrote how much you loved the lemon "stuff" the caterer had made. And aside from the pineapple and oranges, this recipe here would be a very close second to his. It's heaven! Just use lemon jello. But personally, I'd put in some crushed pineapple (drained very well) and 1-2 Tblsp. of the juice. Crushed is so fine but it will add something.

This is not suitable for a mold as you said you had before. Let me know if you make this in lemon. I'd love to know what you think of it! AnneMary