Re: Green Bean Casserole

[ Edited ]

I admit that I LOVE it!!  LOL

I think my recipe is off of Campbell's

mushroom soup can...Hah!

Also love the HoneyBaked one and the

frozen Stouffer's oneWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

I am not a picky eater.....will eat most everything.  But I definitely pass on green bean casserole.  I made it when my children were growing up..everyone liked it except me.

It always had a slimy feel in my mouth....and as others have mentioned, a "tinny" taste.  Too many other good things to eat at holiday meals for me.

But my kids still make it for their families!

Super Contributor

I don't have any strong feelings one way or another, but I was surprised to not see it on the Thanksgiving table.  In fact, I didn't see anything green on the table.  Hmmm!

Valued Contributor

I made it this year and I used Cream of onion soup instead of mushroom.  It was very good.

Trusted Contributor

For all of you that think it's gross, using all that canned stuff makes it taste gross. Mushy, sodium filled drek. Fresh is the way to go.

I make it from scratch and it is very good.  Fresh green beans, fresh mushrooms and if I feel motivated, I'll even coat some onion rinks in panko and oven toast them for the topping.  I've used Alton Brown's recipe for several years now at T'giving and it gets good reviews from all who have tasted it.

It's not any more difficult than making the stuff with all the cans, but the taste is so much better.  

Respected Contributor

For years, I've heard people sing the praises of green been casserole. So, a few years ago, I decided to make it for Thanksgiving. My family (myself included) gave it a unanimous thumbs down. Never made another to this day! 

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

For all of you that think it's gross, using all that canned stuff makes it taste gross. Mushy, sodium filled drek. Fresh is the way to go.

I make it from scratch and it is very good.  Fresh green beans, fresh mushrooms and if I feel motivated, I'll even coat some onion rinks in panko and oven toast them for the topping.  I've used Alton Brown's recipe for several years now at T'giving and it gets good reviews from all who have tasted it.

It's not any more difficult than making the stuff with all the cans, but the taste is so much better.  

This sounds like a tasty dish.

Frequent Contributor

I agree with the poster who uses Alton Browns recipe and makes it from scratch.  I do the same.  I eat plant based, so I use cashew milk for the mushroom bechamel.  It's really delicious and I make it twice per year for the holidays.  My family never made this dish growing up.  Out of curiosity, I did try the original recipe with the canned soup many years ago.  Yuck...