Honored Contributor

DH loves GBC and I always have it for holiday meals. I usually buy the fozen GG one. This year I could not find it anywhere. Finally found it at a grocery store where we hardly ever shop. No,I won't make it from scratch unless I HAVE to.

Esteemed Contributor

Made it back in the 50,S,  but can,t stand it today.  My taste buds have changed.  The one dish I  pass up.  My daughter makes it, her kids love it, 

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition I'm with you about loving it once upon a time - now just the mention of that dish...............blaaaa.  Too sloppy and nothing interesting about it. 

Honored Contributor

I thnk it is an "in" thing to say you do not like it. LOL DH doesn't much care.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

I made it one year because I was asked to.  The requester declared it "glop" after tasting it. 

So much for trying to do something nice for someone Cat LOL

My husband tried it and said I didn't ever have to make it for him.  Ever.  I got his drift.

I've never seen it premade in the stores.  However, it's pretty easy to throw together. 

Seems I used the recipie on the Fried French Onion container.  They had these oversized containers of them specifially for the GB dish.

Esteemed Contributor

I have tried that dish several times and just do not like it one bit.  My DH would make it for Thanksgiving.  He finally gave up because I think he was the only one who would eat it.  It looks gross and it tastes gross.  But for those of you who like it, enjoy, LOL!.

I would be happy if Thanksgiving were just Turkey, potatoes, cranberry sauce, and pie.  That is all I need!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Re: Green Bean Casserole

[ Edited ]

Pioneer Woman has a family-sized green bean casserole on the market, which I found hidden away on an upper freezer shelf at Kroger's grocery store.  Too curious not to try it at least once.

If you find this product and heat it, you might agree that it needs a longer cooking period than the box recommends, unless you like your green beans somewhat thick and a little crunchy. 

We did like it, though, because it wasn't a mess of mush.

It is somewhat better and different than the classic green bean casserole that folks are used to.

HONEY BAKED HAM stores also carry frozen family-sized green bean casseroles.  Never tried them, but know that the company sells the same product online.

Esteemed Contributor

My MIL served that green bean casserole for every occasion she hosted for decades. She thought it was the best thing ever; I ate it once, then passed on it for many, many years. Never could understand what was so great about a bunch of canned goods thrown together.

Perhaps because I don't like anything from a can? Seems like all I could taste was the metal residue of those cans and too much salt from the processing!

What's so difficult about snapping real green beans (or frozen) with EVOO and some wonderful spices? That's heavenly eating IMO.    

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Growing up, my mother never made this dish. And I've never tasted it or have any desire to try it.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

Growing up, my mother never made this dish. And I've never tasted it or have any desire to try it.

@deeva  I’ve never tasted it either.