Respected Contributor

Frying the turkey this year.  Since there will be no drippings, how do I make gravy?

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

I always use canned chicken broth, never the turkey drippings.

Respected Contributor

You won't be deep frying the giblets will you? Cook them in boiling water with onion and celery and seasonings and use that stock to make gravy. That is what I would do. You can also add chicken or turkey broth to this if you want to.

Valued Contributor

I have used the packets or the jarred, but I always add some butter for a little extra flavor if I don't have any drippings to use

cookin

Respected Contributor

The make ahead turkey gravy recipe at WomansDay.com is very good!  I made it last year and we really liked it.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

The make ahead turkey gravy recipe at WomansDay.com is very good!  I made it last year and we really liked it.

@4kitties I have also done this, it''s good & another thing done ahead of time

Esteemed Contributor

I use turkey stock that I buy at the grocery and add onions, carrots, and celery.  Let it simmer for about an hour.  Then I make a roux, add the stock, more butter, and cream.  I only do a fried turkey breast, so this is the best that I can make.  There are some restaurants and groceries that sell their own gravy, and you can always add that or canned gravy to a roux.  I also just picked up Better Than Bouillion in the Turkey, and plan on adding that to my gravy this year.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I use turkey stock that I buy at the grocery and add onions, carrots, and celery.  Let it simmer for about an hour.  Then I make a roux, add the stock, more butter, and cream.  I only do a fried turkey breast, so this is the best that I can make.  There are some restaurants and groceries that sell their own gravy, and you can always add that or canned gravy to a roux.  I also just picked up Better Than Bouillion in the Turkey, and plan on adding that to my gravy this year.

I don't think I have ever seen turkey stock or the better boullion in turkey at the supermarket.

Valued Contributor

I buy the turkey gravy concentrate from William Sonoma.  It is wonderful!  I also love their foccacia stuffing mix.  It is expensive but I bought a couple of weeks ago 20% off and free shipping.  Don't know if that offer ended yet or not.

Honored Contributor

cookinfreak wrote:

I have used the packets or the jarred, but I always add some butter for a little extra flavor if I don't have any drippings to use

cookin

I've done the exact same thing!   A decent packet brand (Knorr is one I would use) is pretty good.  Make it according to instructions and then just add a small pat of butter to blend in at the end.