Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

I just used gala apples to make applesauce.  We had company and everybody asked for the recipe.  It was delicious!

@judy0330

Can I have the recipe???  My furbaby Eddy will also thank you (his Mommy's not an expert cook)..

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I've never heard of cortlant apples. I wonder if its a regional thing?

Maybe - quite plentiful in MA.  In fact the Cortlands were cheaper than the Galas, though both grown locally - go figure!

Valued Contributor

@eddyandme  I don't cook and believe me -- this is beyond simple!  It is a Skinnytaste recipe.  I fill the whole slow cooker with peeled and cored apples because it REALLY cooks down.  (Just use the appropriate amount of the other ingredients depending on how many apples you use.)  I have found that when it is finished it makes a nice chunky applesauce so I have never put it in a blender.  I do drain the liquid.  As I said -- I used all Gala apples.  Enjoy!!

Crock Pot Applesauce

Servings: 12 • Size: 1/4 cup • Points +: 1 pts • Smart Points: 0
Calories: 65.9 • Fat: 0.2 g • Protein: 0.2 g • Carb: 17.5 g • Fiber: 2.8 g • Sugar: 12
Sodium: 0.6 mg

Ingredients:

8 medium apples (Use a combination of Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Fuji, Gala, etc.)

1 strips of lemon peel – use a vegetable peeler

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

3 inch cinnamon stick

5 tsp light brown sugar (unpacked) – or agave

Directions:

Peel, core, and slice the apples.

Place them in the slow cooker. Add the cinnamon stick, lemon peel and brown sugar.

Set crock pot to low and cook for 6 hours. Stir apples occasionally, apples will slowly become a delicious applesauce.

Remove cinnamon stick and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth or if you prefer a chunky sauce, leave sauce intact.

Makes 3 cups.

Respected Contributor

Gramma whose Apple Pies were renowned said that Gala was one of the best for pies.

Honored Contributor

Re: GALA APPLES

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Some apples, like Red Delicious, fall apart and turn to mush when baked.  I don't know how Gala apples bake but a simple Google search will tell you.  You neighbor doesn't know anything about apples.  I always bake with Granny Smith.

@Kachina624   I'm all in for Cortlands!  IF I can find them!  Don't like Granny Smiths either but I seem to be very much in a minority there!  LOL!!! I do like Galas to eat.

Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330

I thank you and Eddy thanks you, Woof,Woof!

Respected Contributor

I eat gala apples all of the time with peanut butter and my parrots love them. 

Respected Contributor

Hmmmm how about taking applesauce one step further and make applebutter....yum! ( thinking I should try it myself)!

Respected Contributor

I like to slice Gala apples with cheddar cheese instead of using crackers. Besides the lower sodium content, I like the sweet/sharp flavor combination. I also use Gala apples when I make steel cut oatmeal overnight in my crockpot (I got the recipe from the QVC forum a year or so ago). They plump up nicely while the oatmeal cooks. However, Granny Smiths are my go-to apples for apple pie. 

Trusted Contributor

Galas, ambrosias and New Zealand Braeburns.  I don’t know why they always seem better than the Braeburns from Washington State. 

Short season but, Pippins are wonderful for eating or for baking - we always used for pie growing up in the Pacific Northwest.

(I think they hold up better than Granny Smith)

When my husband was stationed near Saratoga Springs, New York, we had the most wonderful Winesaps.  I don’t think I’ve ever had better.  And there was that great New York cheddar. Yum.