Esteemed Contributor

Picked up a bag of Gala apples at the grocery store today.  My neighbor told me only Cortland's are good for baking pies/cakes.  Any ideas for using up those apples?

Respected Contributor

I love gala apples.

Eat them or make chunky applesauce. They will be fine for baking.

Honored Contributor

To tell you the truth , I use whatever apples I have on hand for baking. I just adjust the sugar if the apples are sweet or tart. I've never had a problem.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I use Gala apples in all of my recipes.  They are good for making pies, I mix them with Granny Smith and my pies are wonderful.

you can make fruit salad, apple sauce.... whatever.  They are a good all ourpose apple.  And they are good to snack on.....yummy!

Honored Contributor

Some apples, like Red Delicious, fall apart and turn to mush when baked.  I don't know how Gala apples bake but a simple Google search will tell you.  You neighbor doesn't know anything about apples.  I always bake with Granny Smith.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@mima

Me too!  That's why I bought them instead of cortlands.  But, it's only me and my furbaby and although he loves apples, can only eat so much.  I'm allergic to fruit and break out with a gross-looking rash so must limit my intake.  Thanls for the applesauce suggestiob!

Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard of cortlant apples. I wonder if its a regional thing?

Valued Contributor

I just used gala apples to make applesauce.  We had company and everybody asked for the recipe.  It was delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

The only apple I don't use is Red Delicious.  It seems to fall apart when I use it to make something with.  And I really feel the same way when I just try to eat it. 

Honored Contributor

I also love Gala apples, just bought some yesterday!

They're crisp and have a wonderful flavor!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*