Trusted Contributor

My mother served fried spam at least twice a week.

When I left home, I said I would never ever eat spam again.  And I haven't.  Just the thought of it nauseates me. 

Frequent Contributor

HeartSPAM - one of my basic food groups.  Nothing better than a fried spam,egg and cheese on toast !!

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My husband made these sandwiches on Sunday mornings.  Thin fried slices of Spam, an egg fried on both sides, slices of onion on bread spread with mayo.  Sounds awful.  One day I tasted one and it was delicious.  I don't like eggs or spam. 

@Kachina624  When I read your comment, I had to say, "I do not like eggs or SPAM, I do not like them, Sam I am." Woman Very Happy

@ALRATIBA  I like SPAM in SPAM musubi. I'll also cook slices (8 slices per can) in teriyaki sauce. Serve with scrambled eggs with a little bit of soy sauce added to them, and eat with rice. I always buy the low sodium version at Costco, which is plenty salty. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Oh a whim, I bought some SPAM during the pandemic. I opened it, cut a slice, took a bite, and then almost vomited. My cats wouldn't even touch it. More power to you if you like it; many people do. Just not my taste.....or my cats'. 

@Goldengate8361  You have to cook it. I would never eat it right out of the can. Maybe you would like it if you tried it again fried or cooked in teriyaki sauce. 

Honored Contributor

I would agree with anyone trying Spam for the first time, to fry it nice and brown, instead of eating straight out of the can.  

Spam does not have to be cooked, but fried would be more palatable to a newbies tastebuds.   

Honored Contributor

I bought cans of hickory smoked and bacon flavored Spam at Walmart.  This will be all I'll want the rest of my natural life.   I'll dream up some way to eat it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never ate Spam so I have no idea what it tastes like???

@Nightowlz It tastes like meat with a high fat content and quite a bit of salt.  

I don't understand the "horror" of it.  It's just meat, with fat and salt.  Nothing to be grossed out by or anything.  Just food that an awful lot of people have eaten, and something pretty important in helping a lot of folks survive war and poverty.

I figure if it were a French thing it would be revered, not an object of scorn. 

Honored Contributor

@ImABoor 

That was my breakfast this morning!

-------------------------

@ImABoor wrote:

HeartSPAM - one of my basic food groups.  Nothing better than a fried spam,egg and cheese on toast !!

Honored Contributor

Interesting that people eat this stuff. My cholesterol just went up reading about it. As a diabetic, just reading about it, I can feel my arteries clogging. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I'm 65, have eaten Spam my entire life, and my highest cholesterol reading ever was 121.   My highest triglyceride reading ever was 129.  

I don't eat Spam daily, or even weekly, so its contents are of no major concern to me.