Esteemed Contributor

Oh a whim, I bought some SPAM during the pandemic. I opened it, cut a slice, took a bite, and then almost vomited. My cats wouldn't even touch it. More power to you if you like it; many people do. Just not my taste.....or my cats'. 

Esteemed Contributor

I keep some of the SPAM individual servings on hand.  Cost a little more that way, but I don't have to eat the whole can alone!

Makes great SPAM salad and/or sandwiches.  Always good fried.  Love it in Fried Rice also.  It is just another meat!

Sometimes I just want a SPAM and mustard sandwich.  

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Kachina624 

We had fried SPAM slices for dinner many times when I was growing up.   They were OK, sort of.    The sandwich you described with eggs and onions and mayo actually sounds good!

My mom latched onto all the "new modern convenience foods" that became available back then.  SPAM was one of them.

My mom bought it also when I was young.  She would take it with us when we drove to Florida (from Ohio).  Instead of stopping at restaurants we would stop at rest stops and we had Spam sandwiches.  Saved money.  I tolerated it, but I bought it when my children were young.  Now I think I'm going to buy some and try that sandwich (without onion). Can't eat onions.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I keep some of the SPAM individual servings on hand.  Cost a little more that way, but I don't have to eat the whole can alone!

Makes great SPAM salad and/or sandwiches.  Always good fried.  Love it in Fried Rice also.  It is just another meat!

Sometimes I just want a SPAM and mustard sandwich.  

Agree, sometimes I just want a spam sandwich, it's great on a hamburger bun with lettuce too.

My husband who eats anything will not touch it,   yet I am very picky and I do crave it sometimes. 

I grew up in the 50's and 60's  and we had it often, it was our go to when traveling,  back when people stopped at roadside areas.  

I like it fried best, but if  I'm feeling nostalgic, I just have it plain.

My 92 year old mom still eats it sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom 

Never heard of Spam musubi .... so I googled and found .... 

Say “aloha” to SPAM® Musubi. This Hawaiian take on surf and turf is sure to be a hit at your next luau! Your taste buds will be so pleased by the delicious flavor that they’ll throw on a Lei and start dancing the hula.

Sounds good to me!

Regular Contributor

There are several foods that are part of my heritage that I love and refuse to be ashamed of or apologize for:

Bologna sandwich, white bread and mayo or Miracle Whip

Olive Loaf

Spam

Canned soups as thickeners

Liver and onions

Oxtail soup

Poke salad (parboiled 3 times so we won't die)

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

It is good! 

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a kid there was always a can or two of Spam in the pantry. My Mom made spam omelettes, fried it as a side with pancakes, spam sandwiches and whatever else she could think of.

If I recall correctly, I liked it. Don't know if I would like it today. But back then you ate what you were given.

Honored Contributor

I am tempted to try Spam.

Growing up my Dad said if my Mom ever brought Spam into the house, he would divorce her. During WWII he literally lived on Spam for over a year. He was in the desert in North Africa. 

So I have never had Spam. But one day I want to try it.

Respected Contributor

Spam falls into the category of mystery meat like hogshead cheese.