Respected Contributor

Fried Rice--do you make it and how

Cooked a large amount of rice for dinner last night so we'd have leftovers and try making fried rice later.

I have several recipes for fried rice, but haven't made any in years.

Do you have a favorite recipe to  share?   

I have some basic ingredients........sesame oil, soy sauce, some veggies and eggs.  Surely there is a technique or additional ingredients that I'd like to know about.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fried Rice--do you make it and how

I have the first cookbook that David Venable sold on the Q.  There is a good recipe for fried rice in that one.  If you don't have the book just look one up online, I am sure there are many good ones.  It is fairly simple to make, have fun!

Honored Contributor

This is one of those recipes that allow you to improvise  with your favorite ingredients.  I usually have a bag of shelled edamame in the freezer, and find them a must for fried rice.  

Valued Contributor

I steam baby broccoli and carot sticks.  Put in a bowl.  I saute or par cook some onions a little garlic.  I add cooked chilled rice and saute.  At the end I add broccoli, carrots and some frozen baby peas.  Just warm till peas are tender.  I mix sesame oil about a teaspoon with vegetable stock and soysauce.  Pour over the rice.  Let sit for a few minutes to absorb the liquid.

Frequent Contributor

I follow the recipe on gimme some oven. Basically saute onions in butter. Add diced carrots. Sometimes if I have them i use shredded carrots cause they cook faster. Add some frozen peas    Season to your taste. I usually don't add salt since soy sauce is salty. Add either some fresh garlic or garlic powder.  Cook a few eggss in butter.  Just whisk them up and pour in to a hot skillet with a little more butter.  Then in your bigger pan either squish your cooked veggies to the side or scoop them out and  melt a bit more butter and put in your cold rice.  Add some chopped green knions, soy saiuce and oyster sauce.  Stir it around to fry  and give it a taste and adjust. Add in your cooked veggies and your cooked eggs and keep stirring.  Lastly add toasted sesame oil to taste and mix it all up.  

Honored Contributor

Fried rice is to clean out the fridge and use leftovers.  Just put in things you like.  

Trusted Contributor

Fried Rice ~From Ties

1/3 cup plain vegetable oil, like soy, corn or peanut

1/3 pound black forest ham, diced, or about 2 cups cook, cubed or shredded meat

1 onion, diced

Salt and pepper

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 inch pieced fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped

3 whole scallions, thinly sliced on bias, white and green separated

1 1/2 cups (6oz) medley frozen peas, corn, carrots

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

4 cups cold cooked long grain rice, white or jasmine rice, grains separated

Heat a large heavy bottomed nonstick skillet over high heat. When hot add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the ham and cook stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add the onions to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until onion is fragrant. Add the garlic, ginger and scallions whites and stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the frozen vegetables.

Cook until just defrosted but still crisp. Transfer contents of the skillet to a large bowl. Return the pan to the heat and add 2 more tablespoons of oil. Add the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Stir the eggs constantly and cook until almost set but still moist, then transfer egg to the bowl. Break the eggs up with a wooden spoon or spatula.

Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining oil. Add the rice to the pan and use a spoon to break up any clumps. Season with salt and pepper, and stir fry the rice to coat evenly with oil. Stop stirring, and then let the rice cook undisturbed until it gets slightly crispy, about 2 minutes

. Stir the rice again, breaking up any new clumps. Add the scallion greens. Transfer to the bowl. Stir all the ingredients together with the rice, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.

Serve

Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G. P. All rights reserved

Love , Ties 

This is just delicious!

This is from Ties 

Trusted Contributor

Prep everything before starting to cook.

--2 eggs, beaten llightly

--Meat or seafood, optional, any kind you like, fresh, frozen, or cooked, chopped small, put in a bowl with soy sauce or Braggs to marinate for a few minutes

--Aromatics like green onion, garlic, grated or sliced ginger, finely chopped lemon grass

--Veggies, any kind you like, raw or cooked, chopped small

Soy sauce or Braggs Coconut Aminos

Those are the basics but you can add pretty much anything that sounds good to you. Season as you go.

I didn't put in any quantities, and you can play with that. For each person, if it's the whole meal, I tend to use 1 egg, 2 oz meat, 1-1/2 cups veggies and 1 cup rice or less. But you might use more rice, no meat, and less of everything else if it's a side.

1. heat a wok or skillet med hot, add a bit of oil if the pan might stick. Pour in the eggs and swirl to make a large, thin layer. It will cook quickly without turning. Slide it onto a plate or board. When it cools, chop it into strips or squares.

2. Meanwhile, heat the pan again, add a bit of oil, and quickly brown the meat or seafood. Let it brown a little but not overcook. Obviously, put raw items in before cooked items, which might not need browning at all. Turn it all out in a clean bowl. Don't save the marinade

4. Add a bit of oil to the pan if needed and very quickly cook the aromatics just until fragrant. Start adding the veggies, beginning with the hardest fresh ones, and adding one after another as soon as the last one just starts to soften, ending with already cooked veggies. Stir and flip constantly. Note: if you have a lot of tough veggie pieces, put Ina drizzle of water and cover very briefly to help it along. Otherwise keep the pan open and the food moving.

5. When veggies are all in, push to the edges, add a little oil in the center and put in the cold rice. Turn as it cooks. You should hear a faint sizzle. As soon as the rice is warm, begin to mix with the veggies, and then add the meat back in to rewarm. Stir in as much or little  soy sauce or any condiment as you like.

Mix in the eggs just before serving. Drizzle with your sesame oil if you like it.

All this comes together in 10 minutes or less. 

Respected Contributor

I don't have a recipe that I follow.  After a couple of years of following a couple fried rice recipes, I took what I like from each and do my own thing.  Plus, I find some, if not most, of the recipes too much work and too many ingredients.  Always use cold (preferrably day old rice).  I use a rice cooker and make rice like you would get in a chinese restaurant.  I put some sesame oil and heat it up, add frozen peas, carrots and onions till tender.  Add my rice (which is in a ziploc bag and I used my fingers to get is separated).  Stir around mixing everything up and warming it thru.  Add soy sauce, a little at a time (not too much).  Sometimes I add a little salt and pepper (I use low sodium soy sauce) and a little ginger.  At the end, I make scrambled egg in another pan and add.  My daughter loves it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deb5555 wrote:

Fried Rice ~From Ties

1/3 cup plain vegetable oil, like soy, corn or peanut

1/3 pound black forest ham, diced, or about 2 cups cook, cubed or shredded meat

1 onion, diced

Salt and pepper

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 inch pieced fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped

3 whole scallions, thinly sliced on bias, white and green separated

1 1/2 cups (6oz) medley frozen peas, corn, carrots

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

4 cups cold cooked long grain rice, white or jasmine rice, grains separated

Heat a large heavy bottomed nonstick skillet over high heat. When hot add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the ham and cook stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add the onions to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until onion is fragrant. Add the garlic, ginger and scallions whites and stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the frozen vegetables.

Cook until just defrosted but still crisp. Transfer contents of the skillet to a large bowl. Return the pan to the heat and add 2 more tablespoons of oil. Add the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Stir the eggs constantly and cook until almost set but still moist, then transfer egg to the bowl. Break the eggs up with a wooden spoon or spatula.

Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining oil. Add the rice to the pan and use a spoon to break up any clumps. Season with salt and pepper, and stir fry the rice to coat evenly with oil. Stop stirring, and then let the rice cook undisturbed until it gets slightly crispy, about 2 minutes

. Stir the rice again, breaking up any new clumps. Add the scallion greens. Transfer to the bowl. Stir all the ingredients together with the rice, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.

Serve

Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G. P. All rights reserved

Love , Ties 

This is just delicious!

This is from Ties 

@deb5555   Is this recipe from a QVC recipe poster from a long time ago, Ties That Bind?  I always loved her recipes.