Honored Contributor

I have never cooked with it but was watching a Scandanavian cooking show and they were using Guiness beer in beef stew and backed products like brown bread.  Wondering what your experiance with using beer is.  I'm not a beer lover but cooking with it interested me cuz I am wondering if it makes a big difference in tenderizing meat.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cooking/Baking with Beer

@rms1954 I often use Guinness in my beef stew and other recipes too.  You don't get a "beer" taste but rather a rich flavor.  I went online and googled Guinness recipes, I printed several from the internet.  Try it, it's good, I even made a Guinness chocolate cake once Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 

i've used beer in cooking plenty of times.  just last week i made a quick beer bread, that was quite tasty.  

i like to add it to beef type dishes in the crockpot, or stewing. gives a great flavor.

Respected Contributor

I have used beer to marinate brisket.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@rms1954 I often use Guinness in my beef stew and other recipes too.  You don't get a "beer" taste but rather a rich flavor.  I went online and googled Guinness recipes, I printed several from the internet.  Try it, it's good, I even made a Guinness chocolate cake once Smiley Happy

Ohhhh.  Sounds interesting.  I'm tired of the same old recipies.  Definitely will try something new.

Honored Contributor

People I know who cook crabs always use beer.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I make this slow-cooker recipe torn out of a Cook's County magazine many years ago:

4 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1" pieces

2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 onions, chopped

4 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups Guiness draught stout beer

1 tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp dried thyme

1 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped

2 bay leaves

1 lb carrots, cut into 1" chunks

2 lbs baby red potatoes

1/4 cup flour

Pat beef dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cook 2 lbs beef in 2 tsp oil in frypan to brown, place in slow cooker. Brown rest of beef in 2 more tsp oil and place in slow cooker.

Saute onions and 1/4 tsp salt in frypan in 2 tsp oil.  Stir in broth, 1 1/4 cups beer, brown sugar, thyme, chocolate, and bay leaves, bring to boil.  Pour into slow cooker.

Stir carrots and potatoes in with browned beef.  Cover and cook on high until meat is tender, 6-7 hours. 

Whisk flour and 1/4 cup beer until smooth, then stir into slow cooker.  Cook covered to thicken sauce, about 15 minutes.  Throw away bay leaves.   

Trusted Contributor

In addition to the beef stew, I have a chili recipe that uses dark beer.  Also, beer-battered cod is a fried fish tradition.

Honored Contributor

When I was growing up, we would use 1 small bottle of catsup and 1 bottle of beer to marinate 2 big sirloin steaks in all day.  They were towelled off and charcoaled.  They were delicious.

Fantastic sites are

All Recipies

Recipies dot com

Honored Contributor

@ECBG Sunday I'm marinating a couple ribeye steaks in 1/2 cup bourbon, 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce, some minced red onion and a little garlic.