Trusted Contributor

Does anyone have a special recipe to share?  I'm looking for one I can make ahead the night before.  There are so many on the internet I thought maybe I'd be better off checking here for some of your tried and true recipes.  Thanks, ladies!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

From my sister-in law's recipe collection:

6 tbsp butter

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 tbsp maple syrup

6 1-inch thick slices French bread cut into 3/4-inch cubes

4 eggs

1 cup half and half

1 tbsp vanilla

1/4 tsp salt

Microwave butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup in bowl for 1-2 minutes until sugar is dissolved.  Stir to mix.  Spread in bottom of 9x13" baking pan sprayed with PAM.  Arrange bread cubes in single layer on top.  

Whisk eggs, half and half, vanilla, and salt in bowl.  Pour over bread.  Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.

To cook:  Uncover pan and place in cold oven.  Set oven to 350 degrees.  When oven reaches 350 degrees, bake for 35 minutes.  Extra yummy if served with sweetened whipped cream and strawberries.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: French Toast Casserole

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter  Just checking on these directions:: You put the refrigerated dish in an oven then turn on the oven to 350* and once it reaches 350* you time it for 35 minutes? 

Have never heard of French Toast Casserole, but it sounds worth a try with the whipped cream and strawberries or raspberries or blueberries. Probably a lovely dish to serve, too.

ETA: Is this similar to Bread Pudding? If so, I add cinnamon, nutmeg, raisons and crushed walnuts, also. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@deepwaterdotter  Just checking on these directions:: You put the refrigerated dish in an oven then turn on the oven to 350* and once it reaches 350* you time it for 35 minutes? 

Have never heard of French Toast Casserole, but it sounds worth a try with the whipped cream and strawberries or raspberries or blueberries. Probably a lovely dish to serve, too.

ETA: Is this similar to Bread Pudding? If so, I add cinnamon, nutmeg, raisons and crushed walnuts, also. 

Yes, you put it in the cold oven while it is heating up.  This allows the casserole to gradually warm up before it starts cooking.  I think all your bread pudding additions would be tasty in this dish also.

Honored Contributor

Check out Pintrest there are lots of those recipes on there.  I have made them in my crockpot, many you can fix the night before and its ready in the morning.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

Just the name gets me going..................

Honored Contributor

Re: French Toast Casserole

[ Edited ]

I haven't made it but Ina Garten has a French Toast Bread Pudding recipe.

Looks really good and I've had success with her other recipes

https://youtu.be/ftvdhICJ7hg

Honored Contributor

pinchofyum.com/baked-croissant-cinnamon-french-toast

I make this one using day old croissants and double the recipe.

I've used plain yougurt, vanilla flavored, coconut flavored and even sour cream.

Regular Contributor

I love this overnight French Toast Souffle I found on Margaret's Morsels.  It's a real time saver since it's assembled the night before.  It's also delicious!!!!  Just remember to set the pan out to warm up to room temperature before putting it in the oven.