Honored Contributor

Has anybody frozen BREADED eggplant/squash/zucchini like okra for frying/Air Frying?  Does it come out as expected?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Freezing Breaded Veggies

Absolutely you can.

Many breaded veggies are sold in supermarkets in the freezer dept. and come out fine.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

My guess - don't thaw first.  Ready breaded meats (QVC)  - like chicken - and Omaha breaded products........says don't thaw, just put in oven at 400 - 450 degrees and then it turns crispy instead of soggy.  Perhaps that goes for veggies too; but I've never tried them.  Check your book for air fryer temps.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I just don't remember seeing anything but breaded okra in the freezer aisle so I was afraid there might be a reason. I freeze my breaded okra on a cookie sheet and then put them in a Foodsaver bag.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Freeze your breaded eggplant, zucchini, etc., the same way!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Thanks, I just don't remember seeing anything but breaded okra in the freezer aisle so I was afraid there might be a reason. I freeze my breaded okra on a cookie sheet and then put them in a Foodsaver bag.  

In my experience purchased breaded okra seems to be "hard" after cooking, probably from what the vender used as a coat to help the cornmeal and flour bind.

I can easily slice through whole frozen okra, run through a little milk and a mix of cornmeal and flour and it's great.

The pre breaded was horrible!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

I agree about buying the frozen breaded okra, so much tastier and fresher taste to bread and freeze your own.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

In my experience purchased breaded okra seems to be "hard" after cooking, probably from what the vender used as a coat to help the cornmeal and flour bind.

I can easily slice through whole frozen okra, run through a little milk and a mix of cornmeal and flour and it's great.

The pre breaded was horrible!

@ECBG I have never eaten store bought frozen breaded okra.  I have heard it's terrible.  I make my own from fresh.  In fact, I am growing dwarf okra in containers this year because my front yard is the only place I have that gets enough sun to grow veggies.  I have okra, patio eggplant, and a cucumber plant.  However, I have been living here 20+ years and this is my first time here doing that.  I have been missing fried okra something terrible, only getting it when I ate out.  Last year I bought some from a Farmer's Market and froze it, but my home grown looks so much better although it takes a bit to get enough pods for a meal.

Honored Contributor

I actually came up with a different recipe for use with my air fryer.  For deep frying I soak in buttermilk w/egg and then coat with a mixture of equal parts flour and white cornmeal.  However, that didn't work too well for me in the air fryer.  The flour didn't brown and it was hard.  I have heard if you spritz it really well with oil and let that soak in awhile the flour will brown, but I haven't tried that.  

For the air fryer I started out with almond flour, then the buttermilk/egg mixture and then breading with a breadcrumb mixture and that worked out really well.  Tonight I tried just plain flour instead of the almond flour since it is the bottom layer and it worked well too.  So, I think as the bottom layer almond flour or AP flour works equally well.  

Tonight's menu:  Honey Hoisin Pork Tenderloin, Mashed Potatoes, & Air Fried Okra

Air Fried Okra.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Absolutely you can.

Many breaded veggies are sold in supermarkets in the freezer dept. and come out fine.

@KingstonsMom   Processors have special equipment and ingredients for preparing and flash freezing them.  I visualize the homemade variety being a big mess.  I'd preparsmall quanityvas an exoeriment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment