Valued Contributor

I usually make my own rolls and pizza dough.  There are times I don't feel like making both but make a double recipe or larger.  Anyone put dough in the freezer without a problem.  Would like to just pull some out when needed. 

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I usually make my own rolls and pizza dough.  There are times I don't feel like making both but make a double recipe or larger.  Anyone put dough in the freezer without a problem.  Would like to just pull some out when needed. 

I haven’t done that but you can buy frozen dough so I am assuming it works.

Regular Contributor

I freeze dough after the first rise and it works just fine. I thaw in the refrigerator before using. I do spray my freezer container with Pam to prevent the dough from sticking.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I freeze it all the time - pizza dough, bread dough, pie and biscuit dough.  Just give it time to thaw before you’re ready to proceed with baking.

Valued Contributor

Thanks.  I usually cook or bake in bulk and then freeze but never did the pizza/bread dough.  I knew there was frozen dough in the store but I wondered if the dough would have a stronger yeast taste if I froze it. 

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

Thanks.  I usually cook or bake in bulk and then freeze but never did the pizza/bread dough.  I knew there was frozen dough in the store but I wondered if the dough would have a stronger yeast taste if I froze it. 

I don't think the taste of the yeast would be any stronger as the yeast goes dormant at lower temps. I freeze my homemade soft pretzels before dipping them in the lye solution and baking them and they get baked while frozen and come out fine. I don't even thaw them out. They go from the freezer to the room temp lye dip for thirty seconds then onto parchment-lined baking sheets and then straight into the oven.

You can get away with a lot of stuff with bread dough, even par-baking where you mostly cook the dough, but then let it cool, seal it in an airtight bag and then finish cooking it when you need it. That way you can turn out fresh bread, hot from the oven in a fraction of the time it takes to do it from scratch. That can be handy over the holidays when oven time is valuable.

There might be a slight increase in yeast flavor over the long-term, if the frozen dough is stored in a self-defrosting freezer and is in the wrong place in the freezer. It's possible the freezer during the defrost cycle could heat up enough to reactivate the yeast briefly if it was in the wrong place and everything went wrong, but that's unlikely in my opinion.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!