Honored Contributor

Re: For those who don't like to share their recipes....

@house_cat  My mother was known as an excellent cook. My parents had dinner parties, cocktail parties; they entertained all the time. This is why the sabotaging of recipes by people is so twisted; it causes people to think THEY are a horrible cook because of course NO ONE WOULD EVER PURPOSELY give you a recipe that was wrong. Therefore, YOU the cook MUST be doing something/you can't cook.

It's perverted and yet, I've seen it first hand and heard about it over and over again. 

As for my mother being loving and all that....um, no. We have no relationship.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam no offense, but that is the weirdest thing I've heard of, and to think your mother even altered the recipes she gave you. I just saw a Philly Dip commercial in which some lady passed off a packaged dip as her own. I suppose that is common, but to refuse to share a recipe boggles my mind.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG No offense taken! : )  One thing I learned a long time ago is no one is alone in their feelings or experiences. If someone thinks it was only their mother/aunt/sister/SIL, etc, at least now they'll know others have experienced it as well.

Like I said, women who do this are not destined to be my friend. That mindset says something about them and I don't see it as anything positive.

Valued Contributor

My mother did that with a few of her knitting patterns. I think it made her feel special to have something nobody else had. It was a tough era for women back in the 50s. 

Trusted Contributor

It's not always women. My husband has a friend who he and his wife make salsa and give him some on occasion. He asked for the recipe and the guy said "No way!". Still don't know how they make it.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam 

I'm sorry to hear that.  She sounds like she must be a difficult person.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat : My Dad’s Mother made the best Mac and cheese. When invited over for the holidays- no one was allowed in the kitchen. She made everyone’s plate and was served in the dinning room. My mother and her Mom shared every recipe and children were allowed in the kitchen and taught how to cook. Anyone else - they were proud to show anyone how to prepare the recipe. My brother would get irate with me because I could not duplicate the Mac n cheese recipe. Everyone is deceased except me and my 8O year old cousin- he just visited and we shared how tragic the loss of family members and that special dish. We concluded- no respect , honor or love for family and holiday traditions. So sad. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

Reminds me of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. Marie came over to show Debra how to cook a particular recipe. It was delicious. When Debra tried to duplicate it by herself - it tasted horrible. Of course Debra is not a good cook and thought that was the reason. 

She racked her brain on why it tasted horrible - sneaked to Marie's house and stole the recipe box to check the recipe. It was written exactly the same. Found out later that Marie changed the label of one of the spices.

Marie claimed she is known for her cooking and her recipe box would go to Debra when she passes. 

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  Still, I'm sorry for your loss. I have and do appreciate your sense of humor and. your recipes are on target, always.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

Off subject, maybe, but I have this same recipe, same amounts except mine does not call for 1 cup cream. 

Can't image what the dough would be like with that much liquid.  Cookies are wonderful.  Mine calls for 3 cups Self Rising flour for simplicity!