Trusted Contributor

Re: For those who don't like to share their recipes....

A story......every year I run a chili cookoff at church.  The winner usually provides the recipe so others can make it on their own.  Last year’s winner said she would provide the recipe, but she’d leave several ingredients out!  Seriously?  I told her to forget it.  I just couldn’t believe it. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I really did know a woman at our church many years ago who was a fantastic cook. We had a lot of potluck dinners back then and no matter what she brought, it was the first thing to go. I tried but failed to make some of her salads and casseroles and cakes but they never tasted like hers.  I found out years later from one of her other friends that she even though she always shared her recipes, she would leave out one ingredient that would keep the finished dish from tasting as good as hers.

That just seems so very wrong.

I get that some folks won't want to share recipes for a number of reasons.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that.   But to give one out, purposely leaving out an ingredient just seems - I don't know, mean and creepy.

Super Contributor

sahmiam, I am so sorry your mother is so controlling!  My mother was controlling, but had I asked for a recipe she would have given it to me.  I just never asked, because I was always watching her cook and learned by watching.  However, now that I am old, I sure wish I had written down those recipes!  I do have many of her recipes, written on index cards, but they came from other sources.  You don't think you will forget those things, but we all do the older we get.

I had a mother-in-law who was not a great cook in general.  However, at holiday time she made the most delicious jello salad with a frothy whipped topping, not dairy, as I recall.  It was either raspberry or blackberry (maybe some cranberry as well?), and you can probably see where this is going.  The grandchildren were small then (she died in 1992), but none of us adults can remember enough specifics about the salad to try to make it.  I asked many times for the recipe, and I believe my sister-in-law did as well.  But she flat-out refused time and again.  Well, I hope you're happy now, Rhoda!  You took it to the grave with you!  LOL

Can't help feeling a little sad at Thanksgiving and Christmas, as that dish would be the hit of the meal.  I know, jello!  But it was special.

Respected Contributor

@2zbeach wrote:

A story......every year I run a chili cookoff at church.  The winner usually provides the recipe so others can make it on their own.  Last year’s winner said she would provide the recipe, but she’d leave several ingredients out!  Seriously?  I told her to forget it.  I just couldn’t believe it. 

@2zbeachAny chance you could disqualify her this year since she was such a spoil sport?

Respected Contributor

I find it very disappointing that quite a few of these women mentioned are involved in church and church activities(cook-offs. potlucks, cookbooks) when doing this. Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

That's hilarious!

I have to say, I don't understand not sharing recipes. When I was a young girl, an older woman had brought a very good shrimp dip to an office party. One of the bosses took a bite, loved it, and asked the woman how she made it. The woman sheepishly said that she didn't remember. The boss, with a horrified expression, looked down at her fingers holding the rest of the cracker with shrimp dip on it, and asked, "You don't remember?? When did you MAKE it? 😳😧 lol.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I think the fear is that a recipe may become SO common, that it loses it's place of honor being loved and appreciated.

I can easily understand with a liquor I make.  If it were to get published, (which it certainly would, guaranteed), it wouldn't be "special" any longer.  I give it as Christmas gifts.  On a solemn vow, promised never to give it out.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 1.07.30 PM.png

Woman LOL Smiley LOL This is too funny!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I really did know a woman at our church many years ago who was a fantastic cook. We had a lot of potluck dinners back then and no matter what she brought, it was the first thing to go. I tried but failed to make some of her salads and casseroles and cakes but they never tasted like hers.  I found out years later from one of her other friends that she even though she always shared her recipes, she would leave out one ingredient that would keep the finished dish from tasting as good as hers.

@lovesrecess 

Preach sister, preach.  I have had the same thing happen to me from a "close" friend from church.  Extremely irritating as well as time consuming and expense of ingredients. 

Super Contributor

Thank you so much @house_cat for putting a smile on my face today, that is too funny even though it's associated with your mom's passing. I also love your saying about lighting another's candle, very wise words.

As for the story related by @SahmIam I truly have no words. Like everyone else here, I just don't get deliberately wasting someone's time, effort and money spent on ingredients just to sabotage them. What folks get out of doing that I don't know and really don't want to know the thought processes of that kind of toxic thinking.

You really had me going @msclassylady717 while reading that chicken "recipe!" When I saw the unpopped popcorn as an ingredient, I was really scratching my head, then the pay off had me literally sitting here laughing and grinning all by myself!😆

I have no problem sharing my recipes. My dishes usually get great reviews however the only reason I ever hesitate is that pretty much everything I make isn't written down, they're all floating around in my head! Even when I use a real recipe from a cookbook, cooking show, whereever, I always change a little something to make it mine. When I do share, it takes me forever to write it down especially when it comes to measurements 'cause I just wing it.

But, hey I did just post a recipe here for Lemon Icebox Pie so I'm trying, I'm trying!😇