Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I saw a pallet of baking ingredients sitting at the end of an aisle.  I'm not proud to admit that I broke open the plastic wrapping around 6 bags of Pillsbury All-Purpose flour in order to get one 5-pound bag to purchase.  The shelf was empty.

@deepwaterdotter It's perfectly ok to open that pallet.  The flour was going out anyway.

Honored Contributor

Combining cake flour or another soft flour (rye?) with bread flour will give you the results you want. I was very lucky to stumble upon some all-purpose flour the other day so I got an extra five pounds. As a regular bread baker, I keep some stock on hand all the time. I have about seven pounds of AP, eight pounds of bread flour, four pounds of whole wheat, four pounds of rye, and seven pounds of self-rising flour. I'm good to go for a while.

I'd ordered two pounds of Red Star instant yeast last month from Amazon, that's in my freezer. I was a little disappointed in it in my first bread as it barely rose. I then did a couple of tests and discovered it likes hotter water than the old Fleischmann's yeast I'd been using. With my old yeast, I could use pretty much room temp water with no trouble, but the Red Star really wants water that's at least 110 degrees to wake up. A few proof tests revealed that secret. In room temp water it just sits there and does nothing. Get it in hot water and it springs to life and grows like mad. I've always tried to err on the side of too cool as it won't kill the yeast while too hot will, but the Red Star really wants the heat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@momtodogs , if you're in the mood for pizza, and have the time, I highly recommend Nancy Silverton's pizza dough recipe,....which calls for bread flour.

Don't be intimidated by the steps involved. It's really very simple to make.

Nancy Silverton's Pizza Dough - Serious Eats  

@gardenman, thanks SO much for the tip about Red Star yeast!

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, can you locate some yeast?  If you can, I ran across a recipe for bread made in the slow cooker. I haven't made it, so I'm not sure how it turns out, but if you wanted to try it, here is the recipe.

Bread made in the slow cooker

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups (455 g) bread flour

2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast, (1 envelope)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 cups (360 ml) warm water, (105-115°F)

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Stir with a whisk. Slowly pour in the water. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended and the dough forms into a ball. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it set on the counter overnight, 8-18 hours.

Line the bowl of the 6-quart slow cooker with parchment paper.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With well-floured hands, flatten the dough into a 9-inch circle, then fold it over onto itself and shape it into a ball. Place the dough into the prepared slow cooker. Place a double layer of paper towel under the lid to prevent condensation from dripping onto the rolls. Turn the slow cooker on high and cook for 2 hours or until the bread is cooked through.

Remove the bread by lifting them out with the parchment paper.

The fully cooked bread will have a light, soft crust. If you desire a golden crispy crust, place the bread under the broiler for 5 minutes. Set the bread on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

Notes

*Always double check your slow cooker's manufacturer instructions before attempting this recipe. Some models require the pot to be partially filled with liquid to avoid safety or durability problems. Also, never leave the slow cooker unattended.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

@Mom2Dogs, can you locate some yeast?  If you can, I ran across a recipe for bread made in the slow cooker. I haven't made it, so I'm not sure how it turns out, but if you wanted to try it, here is the recipe.

Bread made in the slow cooker

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups (455 g) bread flour

2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast, (1 envelope)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 cups (360 ml) warm water, (105-115°F)

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Stir with a whisk. Slowly pour in the water. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended and the dough forms into a ball. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it set on the counter overnight, 8-18 hours.

Line the bowl of the 6-quart slow cooker with parchment paper.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With well-floured hands, flatten the dough into a 9-inch circle, then fold it over onto itself and shape it into a ball. Place the dough into the prepared slow cooker. Place a double layer of paper towel under the lid to prevent condensation from dripping onto the rolls. Turn the slow cooker on high and cook for 2 hours or until the bread is cooked through.

Remove the bread by lifting them out with the parchment paper.

The fully cooked bread will have a light, soft crust. If you desire a golden crispy crust, place the bread under the broiler for 5 minutes. Set the bread on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

Notes

*Always double check your slow cooker's manufacturer instructions before attempting this recipe. Some models require the pot to be partially filled with liquid to avoid safety or durability problems. Also, never leave the slow cooker unattended.

@wismiss 

We use flour, yeast & salt to make french bread. It's really good. Makes yummy french toast. My SIL uses the recipe when she makes garlic bread.

I have never made it in a slow cooker. Doubt DH would like it since he does not like the shape of bread that comes out of the bread machine. We only use it to make the dough.

Respected Contributor

I found some All Purpose White at Jamie's Mill.

If you are willing to pay the price plus shipping it could be an option.

Highlighted
Contributor

Where I live the bakeries are selling flour and eggs right now. Maybe contact bakeries in your area to inquire.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Can you just buy a boxed mix ?

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou ..i finally found AP flour last week..now I can bake!

Honored Contributor

I actually got 10 pounds of flour with my grocery orders this week--but no yeast. I ordered that from AMZ that should come in May sometime-----I threw away a pound  of yeast this past fall from my freezer cuzz I didn't use it ===what a horrible move-----also donated my bread machine-----aaaarrggg another horrible move