Honored Contributor

I have been looking for all purpose flour for 2 weeks, today there was still no flour to be had but there was bread flour.  Is there something I need to do different when baking with BREAD FLOUR vs All purpose...It would be used mostly for baking cake, cookies, etc.

If I cannot substitute with out issues I'll just try to find someone that uses bread flour.

thanks

Respected Contributor

To answer your question I just spoke to King Arthur Flour's baking dept.  She said due to the fact that Bread Flour has more protein you may need to add a little more liquid.  It tends to absorb more liquid.  It is not recommended for cakes or pies because it will not create the lighter textures we're used to.  As far as chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies are concerned you should not see much of a difference.  Hope that helps.  

Honored Contributor

I saw a pallet of baking ingredients sitting at the end of an aisle.  I'm not proud to admit that I broke open the plastic wrapping around 6 bags of Pillsbury All-Purpose flour in order to get one 5-pound bag to purchase.  The shelf was empty.

Honored Contributor

All I know is, I tried to make a pie crust oneday and used bread flour by mistake. It was an epic fail, it just wouldn't come together.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@brandiwine thank you so much.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter ..ha, ha...that's great.  Our shelves have been empty for two weeks.  I think I might have done the same!

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I will have to try to find someone that uses bread flour and give it to them.  I canot take it back.

I don't want to pitch it and  according to the responses, I will not have good results.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll throw this out to more experienced bakers...

You can still find cake flour like Swans Down or SoftasSilk. Cake flour is soft winter wheat flour. If you've used it you'll feel the difference as it's highly sifted, very soft. Made specifically for cakes.

So my thought is to mix cake flour with bread flour to lighten the protein content to = AP Flour.

I found this online:

Cake Flour has the least protein

Lilly White (a southern girls flour) slightly more protein

AP flour

Bread flour has the most protein

Cookies you prob want more cake to bread flour ratio

Quick breads like banana or zuchini you want more bread to cake flour ratio.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs : I have not found any bread flour, yeast or bread machine because all sold out. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I saw a pallet of baking ingredients sitting at the end of an aisle.  I'm not proud to admit that I broke open the plastic wrapping around 6 bags of Pillsbury All-Purpose flour in order to get one 5-pound bag to purchase.  The shelf was empty.

@deepwaterdotter    I'm shocked!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment