Respected Contributor

DH loves a good fried fish sandwich, so I prepared the following for dinner tonight.  He's a happy man right now.

Crispy Fried Fish
For 2 servings:

2 Wild caught Atlantic cod fillets (4 - 5 oz. each makes large sandwiches)
~ 1 pint buttermilk
1/4 cup cornstarch
½ cup all-purpose flour
pinch salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
6 oz. Lager beer, well chilled
1 quart Crisco Vegetable Oil

Cover thawed cod fillets with cold buttermilk, keep chilled about an hour. Discard buttermilk.  Dry fish with paper towels.

Heat 3/4 - 1" of vegetable oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven until a small piece of white bread dropped in it turns golden brown within a minute or two. (If using a thermometer, 375º)

Meanwhile, dredge both sides of fillets in cornstarch.

Batter: Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a pie plate. Stir in cold beer to form a batter. Add cod fillets, turning to coat both sides.

Carefully place away from you, the battered cod into the oil. Fry, turning once, about 7-8 minutes total time.

Drain on paper towels.

Serve on rye bread with tartar sauce (recipe follows).  Sides: cole slaw, French fries, and/or corn on cob.

Tartar Sauce

Measurements are approximate. Taste and adjust to personal preference as you go.

Combine:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup dill pickles, minced
1 teaspoon - 1 Tablespoon capers, minced
1 - 2 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons - 1 Tablespoon onion, green onion or shallot (if using onion, grate on microplane)
1 - 2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
½  teaspoon dried tarragon

Make in advance and chill, covered.  The flavor improves overnight.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG  Your DH eats really good.  That sounds delicious and I'm not a fish lover. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The fish sandwiches sound really good - especially on rye bread. I'm definitely trying this recipe. Thanks for posting!

Respected Contributor

I wish I you made me this, I would love you & be you best friend. Lucky guy. enjoy this!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Wow @IamMrsG leave it to you to put an unexpected twist on an old favorite . . . rye bread? . . . seriously? . . . I am so going to try this next time I make myself a fish sandwich, thanks for the great recipe and tips!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm glad just to get the recipe and directions for really crispy fish.  The fish I've been served has never been really good.  Now I know how to fix it, although I probably wouldn't make a sandwich. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@IamMrs, tthis sounds spectacular! It just might be worth a little weekend splurge!

Another stellar idea is fish tacos. Many restaurants serve those down here usually using grilled fish-although you could certainly use fried and that gorgeous tarter sauce of yours! What I love,however, is that instead of lettuce and tomato, the tacos are served with slivers of cabbage and carrots which have a wonderful sweet crunchiness.  The cabbage would be splendid on a sandwich as well!

Thanks for posting!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Good morning,

@itsmagic@sissel@momtochloe@Kachina624 and @Poodlepet2

Y'all are very welcome for and to the fish recipe.  I thought it would be appropriate to post as we're in the Lenten season now.

Like you, @Kachina624,  fish sandwiches are not my favorite fare; however, if I say so myself, this fish is quite good.  Cod is a white, clean and mild fish.

I cannot take credit for the use of rye bread, @momtochloe.  That's the common way fish sandwiches are served in our former city.  My DH would give me a quizzical look if I served it any other way.

I apologize for the measure approximations in the tartar sauce. Since we re-located, I cannot find our favorite bottled restaurant brand, so I've had to 'wing it.'  This is as close as I have been able to get (so far  Woman Wink).  It's a work in progress, as they say.  

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness @IamMrsG now you have intrigued me again.  What bottled brand would you use if it was available in your area?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  To me, there is only one tartar sauce, and it's Frisch's.

Frisch's Original Tartar Sauce by Frisch's Tarter Sauce