Honored Contributor

FEBRUARY 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Image result for valentines day images food

Ah February, the month of LOVE!  Or if you live around here, snow shovels.  Either way let us once again gather and post your best February treats, both sweet and savory!  Heart

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."

(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there. @walker gave us our next ingredient (and may I say that recipe looks delicious!);

Blueberry Croissant Puff

3 large croissants, cut up

1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

2/3 cup sugar

2 EGGS

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place croissant pieces in a 9  inch square pan.  Sprinkle with blueberries.  Beat cream cheese, sugar, EGGS, and vanilla until well blended.  Gradually add milk, beating well after each addition.  Pour evenly over croissant pieces. Let stand 20 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until set in center and golden brown.  You may want to cover it with foil for the last 10 minutes if tops are getting too browned.  Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... GARLIC POWDER or

GARLIC SALT

Respected Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2019 RECIPE GAME

@momtochloe Yum, Yum, want me some.! Alas, I can't eat any kind of dairy (kidney stones). One can dream!  Thanks as always for this thread. Greatly appreciated!

NEXT INGREDIENT: GARLIC POWDER or GARLIC SALT

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

GARLICKY CHICKEN PICCATA                        Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

• 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons of water
  • 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic 1/4 cup capers
  • 1/3 cup (about the juice of 2 lemons) lemon juice
  • 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 12 oz. of spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
  • 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  •  
  1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large plate, combine the flour, parmesan cheese, and granulated garlic. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture and shake off excess.
  2. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate.
  3. Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock, water, garlic, red pepper flakes, and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. If serving family style, place the spaghetti in a serving platter, place chicken breasts on top, and pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley. If serving individually, follow the same process into single portioned plates.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

MUSHROOMS

Honored Contributor

This is a repeat for me but, since it has been a few years, worth reposting for any newcomers here.  By the way, I might want to drink half the wine myself!  Bring on the beef!

CABERNET MUSHROOMS

1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon

2 cups beef stock

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)

2 tablespoons Worcestersire sauce 

1 teaspoon thyme or a tied bunch of fresh thyme

4 beef bouillon cubes

6 cloves of garlic, minced

1 bay leaf

4 lbs. white MUSHROOMS, cleaned and cut if large but 

do not slice

salt and pepper to taste

Heat wine, beef stock, butter, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bouillon cubes and garlic in large stockpot, stirring until butter is melted and bouillon cubes are dissolved.  Add MUSHROOMS and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil over

medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 6 hours.  (This could also be done in a slow cooker.). Remove the lid and continue cooking, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until mixture is reduced by about half.  Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper; serve hot.  Flavor actually improves if made the day before serving.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... CREAM CHEESE

Esteemed Contributor

Fruit Salad

1 sm pkg cream cheese
1 14 oz can fruit cocktail, drained, save juice
maraschino cherries, halved (to taste and looks). 
coconut
nuts, chopped

Directions:

Bring cream cheese to room temp.  Once it is at room temp, cut pieces into glass dish.

Add 2 Tbsp juice to cream cheese.  With fork, mix together, add more juice to make creamy, use as much as you desire for thickness.  (I use cherry juice, turns soft pink)

Once all lumps are gone, pour fruit cocktail into cream cheese mixture and stir well.

Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

This is my own concoction!  Really good, especially with leftover turkey or ham. 
I do not really measure, just eyeball it to your liking!

Next ingredient:  Sausage (any)

Honored Contributor

Crescent Sausage Bites 4.JPG

3-Ingredient Crescent Sausage Bites
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. hot sausage (pork or turkey)
  • 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
  • 2 packages crescent rolls
  • Dash salt & ground black pepper
Directions 
  1. In a saute pan, brown sausage; drain. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Blend in cream cheese until the cream cheese is melted.
  2. Unroll one package of crescent rolls and place on a baking sheet. With your fingers, gently press the seams together to seal them. Spread the sausage mixture evenly over the crescent roll dough, leaving about a 1/2-inch border along the edges.
  3. Unroll the remaining package of crescent rolls and place on top of the sausage mixture. Press the edges together to seal. Gently press the seams together.
  4. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until crescent roll dough is golden brown.
  5. Cut into small squares and serve.  (A pizza cutter makes really quick and easy work of the cutting.)

Next ingredient:  chicken breasts with bone

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Chicken and White Bean Stew

1 pound cannellini beans soaked and drained ( I soaked overnight)

6 cups unsalted chicken broth

1 cup chopped yellow onion 

1 cup sliced carrots

1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary ( I used jarred)

1- 4 oz parm rind plus 2/3 cup grated Parmesan divided

2 BONE IN CHICKEN BREASTS

4 cups chopped kale

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon salt ( I used kosher)

1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup flat- leaf parsley leaves ( I didn’t use) 

Combine beans, broth, onion, carrots, rosemary and Parmesan rind in 6 qt slow cooker. Top with chicken. Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours until beans and vegetables tender. 

Transfer the chicken to cutting board, I used plate. Let stand till cool enough to handle about 10 minutes. Shred chicken discard bones. 

Return chicken to slow cooker stir in kale. Cover and cook on high until kale is tender 30 minutes or so. 

Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper. Discard the parm rind. Serve the stew drizzled with the oil and sprinkled Parmesan and Parsley. 

Enjoy. 

Next Ingredient GREEN BEANS

Honored Contributor

This is not a new recipe and maybe I even got it here.  But, it is quick to put together and very good.  You can make it your own with amount of ingredients, chicken, etc.

Chicken with Vegetables

3-4 boneless chicken breasts

6-8 small red potatoes, quartered

Fresh GREEN BEANS, ends trimmed

olive oil

Italian Seasoning or Italian Dressing Mix

Place chicken breasts in center of a 9 X 13" baking dish.  Then place potatoes around one side followed by the GREEN BEANS on other side. Drizzle olive oil over all.  Then sprinkle with Italian Seasoning or Italian Dressing Mix.

Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... APPLES

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of recipes with APPLES but this is the easiest and we love it. An old recipe so no measurements.

APPLE Omelette 

Saute, thinly sliced APPLES, cinnamon, a pinch of sugar, all in butter. When the apples are the consistency you like, take out of pan and set aside. Cook the eggs, as you like and then fill with the APPLE mixture then fold the eggs as usual to make an omelette.

NEXT INGREDIENT: CHICKPEAS

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

I have a lot of recipes with APPLES but this is the easiest and we love it. An old recipe so no measurements.

APPLE Omelette 

Saute, thinly sliced APPLES, cinnamon, a pinch of sugar, all in butter. When the apples are the consistency you like, take out of pan and set aside. Cook the eggs, as you like and then fill with the APPLE mixture then fold the eggs as usual to make an omelette.

Ok @Coquille I did not see this coming but I am more than intrigued.  Is there a specific type of apple that is recommended for this recipe?