Honored Contributor

Re: Easy appetizer suggestions please & drinks!

[ Edited ]

Beer, wine (red blend, white blend) and punch are the only drinks I'd provide. You've got plenty of food on the menu. All I'd add are some veggies and dip for those that don't care for meat. Have fun hosting your party.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember something non alcoholic for those that don't drink or are driving.  Have fun!  LM

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

Your appetizer list sounds delicious!  All I need to know is your address and what time to show up!

DH and I don't drink either, and it's an even more awkward situation because he's been sober for 12 years. Our good friends know this and don't expect alcoholic beverages when they visit, but more casual acquaintances do not.  In a case like that I'll just tell them to bring whatever they like to drink and I have them take home any leftovers.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

Yes, that could cause a problem.  Like I said I don't know even what to buy -- I've only done Sangria/wines.  And SURE COME OVER ON THURSDAY AROUND 3 ... we will be happy to meet you!!!

Well here's a surprise!!!

I had RSVP calls today -- many told me they would bring their drinks!!!

I was surprised ... I actually didn't know what to say - it felt kinda ackward for sure since I'm the hostess.

Here's what they said:  We go to alot of parties and ALWAYS bring our own drink of choice.  Why would you as the hostess have to "guess or incur expense for us"?  

Then added:  WE are just thrilled to come to your house for buffet dinner cuz we know its gonna be delicious!

thank you for the invite!"

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

What a nice compliment!  Your appetizers do sound great!

I'm glad your guests are offering to bring their drinks - I find that's usually the best solution.

We live in a metropolitan area where Uber and Lyft rides are always just moments away. My neighbors, who drink quite a bit, often utilize those ride services when they go out.. which is a good thing because I've seen them arrive home and they definitely should not be driving.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Fyi:  I live in a golf community and most attending will be driving their golf cart or walking to my home.

They are basically my neighbors with walking distance...and if I have to (which I hope I won't😉) I'd taxi them home!

Thank you for your ideas & concern!  Now, if you decide to join us the guest room is ready!🙂

homedecor1

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

I'll bring dessert!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bring that Chocolate Yule STACK and I'll meet you there!

@homedecor1   It is quite common for guests to being their own drinks to a gathering. 

Sangaria is always nice but actually, I would prefer to have my favorite drink over just a cheap bottle of Wine someone brought. 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills  and others:

This is just exactly what happened -- I was "stressing" over drinks & my guests prefer to bring their own!

Sounds good to me (and less stress).  I am providing soda, coffee, etc.🙂.

Happy New Year!

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 

I know your event has already occurred but just wanted to say I think your guests were very thoughtful to provide their own drinks and that your menu was more than lovely.   I hope you all had a grand time.  I used to try to purchase alcohol to appeal to the group-we don't drink Bud Light any more, no we don't drink Coors, no we no longer drink Corona, etc.   I finally got tired of trying to please people and getting stuck with alcohol we didn't drink.  Now I tell people to BYOB and try to have sangria or one signature cocktail for an event.  Of course, I have ice tea, coffee, bottled water, and soda.  I also try to keep a supply of good mixers on hand such as ginger ale, club soda, tonic water, bloody mary mix, sweet and sour mix so if people want to make a mixed drink with what they brought, it is available.  Much less expensive to send someone home with an open bottle of bloody mary mix than purchase alcohol no one will drink.  I just wanted to add my thoughts going forward for you so that you don't stress over details that don't need the worry.   You sound like a wonderful, thoughtful hostess.  Happy New Year!