Honored Contributor

Easy appetizer suggestions please & drinks!

[ Edited ]

I am hosting a small gathering for about 12-15 people.  

Drinks:

Let me start by saying neither spouse or I drink on a regular basis.  On the rare occassion we go out to a nice restaurant for dinner I'll order a glass of wine and he "might" order a beer.  Other than this, he never drinks. 

A few of the friends coming do drink on a regular basis -  from beer to liquors.  I have been trying to find a way to "avoid" buying UNnecessary liquor as I know it's just going to go on a shelf OR I'll buy the wrong stuff.  Suggestions please!  (I will buy some beer because I know they drink Coors).

Menu - appetizers with light salads

Ham & Cheese sliders

Meatball parm sliders

chicken wings 

Chopped Antipasto

Brocoli salad

Swedish Meatballs

Sausage Balls

Stuffed Mushrooms

Pigs in a Blanket (franks wrapped in crescents)

Shrimp Tray

7 layer taco dip/chips

Dessert:  I will serve a ice cream cake - no one really eats alot of desserts, but I think this will go!

Any suggestions for a few other EASY no bake appetizers.  I don't want to keep the oven on once company arrives.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!  (I didn't want to do a big meal or lots of heavy salads). 

Respected Contributor

Re: Easy appetizer suggestions please & drinks!

[ Edited ]

No need to offer a full bar. Wine and beer is fine. People will drink what you put out. I'd offer LaCroix or something else besides alcohol too

Super Contributor

My friends and I drink, and even though we have different tastes, we all will drink either a mimosa (sparkling prosceca or inexpensive champaign and orange juice) or a sangria (again you can buy a box sangria).  In each case, the box sangria will keep a long time and you might actually enjoy it on new years day yourself.

As far as appetizers, I tend to lean towards cheese and crackers.  I expecially like cheese balls, but if you just choose a couple of different cheese selections, anything left can be incorporated in cooking.  

Sounds like fun, enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You could offer a punch or a "signature" drink.  Homemade egg nog

That's a huge amount of food for 15 people

I'd cut out several of the choices.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

As for your menu, I think you have a wide variety and I wouldn't add anything.

As far as alcohol, I would serve wine and beer, no 'hard' alcohol, you don't want to be responsible for anyone 'overindulging", when they have to drive home.

And I say this as someone who prefers liquor, would settle for a beer, but never drink wine (gives me a headache).

JMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

At first glance your meal selections are very nice and are substantial enough to be a traditional meal replacement.  With such a selection I am guessing it is a buffet style where people can graze and mingle vs. sit down and formal.  If that is your intent, the appetizers I would serve would be an olive assortment with picks, pepperoni cut up, some cheese and a few nuts.  If you serve more, people will fill up and not each much of the wonderful menu you will have worked so hard to make special. Cocktail time may be one hour and then I would serve.  
Regarding drinks, an offer of a few different beers, two white and two red varieties, and don't forget soft drinks for those who are driving and may only want one drink.  No one should be disappointed with this selection.  Not to worry.  Your evening sounds lovely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the replies!

My gf just called she is bringing several bottles of wine (she's a big wine drinker) that she knows others would like.  She also is bringing a cheese tray platter - fig jam, several cheese, soppresata, salami & prosciutto w/fruit. 

I completely forgot doing a nice Sangria.  Whoever suggested this - thank you🙂!  I made a sangria at my last open house & didn't have a "drop" left😉!

Well, I had received a few "sorry can't attend" but those couples just called they will be coming!  Yes, no sit down style just casual & mingle...

Thank you again everyone for the ideas!  

homedecor1

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looks like you have two meatball items; I'd cut out one choice. For a wine I'd get Black Box Pinot Noir and Black Box Chablis.  This wine is available everywhere (even Wal Mart) and if you don't finish it, it keeps quite a while.  My son is a chef at a major brew pub in Albuquerque and this is what they serve.  

Esteemed Contributor

You've got quite a bit of food planned for your guests and it all sounds delicious. A great cold appetizer is a block of cream cheese with a jar of Sweet & Hot Pepper/Onion Relish. I buy Dickensen's brand at my large grocer. Just spoon it on top of a block of cream cheese and surround it with the larger Wheat Thin crackers (or crackers of your choice). It's delicious and about as easy as it comes. Put it on a pretty serving tray with a nice cheese spreader and you're set.

I would provide beer and wine. A bottle of wine usually serves about 4 or 5 glasses (IMO). Or buy a box of wine and keep it in a decanter or pitcher. (Franzia Crisp White is a nice light generic white wine). You might tell your guests that's what you'll be serving so that they can bring a bottle of their favorite liquor if they prefer that.

Respected Contributor

I made stuff celery for Christmas buffet and it was a big hit.  You can google the recipe.  It's called Celery Crack.