Honored Contributor

EVER MAKE A CITRUS MARINADE?

I've bought a few bottles of rubs for chicken and steak ... really quite nice although they can be too hot if there's a lot of ground peppers in the mix.

Words like Bold, Spicy or Robust don't always tell the whole story.    Example ....  Jars of salsa come labeled Mild, Meduim and Hot .... but not jars of rub in the spice aisles.

So ....  I was thinking of making a citrus marinade .... something flavorful but not hot.

Any suggestions ?  TIA!   Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: EVER MAKE A CITRUS MARINADE?

@Tinkrbl44  i use this for chicken breast

chicken marinade 

3 chicken breasts pounded to equal thickness.  place each breast in gallon bag with 1 tablespoon water, seal and pound chicken to equal thickness then remove from bag and pierce both sides with fondue fork.  this prep step allows chicken to cook evenly and absorb marinade

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 lemon (juice and zest)

1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

put marinade ingredients in small bowl and stir to combine,  after using gallon bag to pound chicken, put gallon bag in shallow rectangle dish.  add chicken in single layer.  pour marinade ingredients over chicken.  seal bag and massage chicken with fingertips.  turn bag over and massage other side.  put dish in refrigerator for 6 hours, turning bag over midway.  remove dish from frig last hour and bake, grill or smoke chicken to 165 degrees.
Sara Moulton's tip:  put 1 tablespoon water in bag to keep chicken from clinging to bag.  pound with rolling pin.
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  

If you type in APRIL 2021 RECIPE GAME and select board in the drop down menu from the search box in these forums my posting of Cuban Style Mojo Marinade from the Gypsy Plate website will be message 5 of 43.

There are many variations of these Bahamian style marinades when you search the web.  I used to buy the bottled ones and decided to experiment  and now always make my own from scratch.

Hope this helps.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

Thanks for the reminder on that!  I have wanted to try it.  Copied it somewhere....

here is the link

APRIL 2021 RECIPE GAME - Blogs & Forums (qvc.com)

and I hope you don't mind me reposting...it sounds SO good!!!!

Cuban Style Mojo Marinade

from the Gypsy Plate website

Featured  Ingredient:  GRAPEFRUIT 

1/4 cup olive oil

1 & 1/2 cups orange juice

1/3 cup each  lemon and lime juice

1/3 cup grapefruit juice

2  Tsps. dried oregano

2 Tsps. kosher salt

1 Tsp. black pepper

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped

minced parsley

This marinade is  typically used to marinate pork, chicken, or beef,  but I think it is also good for marinating shrimp.

You could incorporate the shrimp in a salad of mixed salad greens and add fresh grapefruit and orange segments for a refreshing spring or summer entree.  If you have some fresh strawberries you could halve and add those as well.

aroc3435

BUT...the statin I am on is highly affected by grapefruit juice.

Can't have even a little.

What would you suggest I sub?  More OJ?  Lemon or lime  juice?  

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  TIA!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife    A big thank you from the technically challenged "me" for reposting the actual original post.

I understand the grapefruit problem regarding statin drugs.

If you want the marinade more on the sweet side increase the orange juice by another 1/3 cup.  If you adore limes, as I do, increase the lime juice by 1/3 cup. 

Try a little sample as you are blending and your taste buds will guide you.

With warm regards and best wishes for a pleasant day,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Great ideas!

thanks @aroc3435  !!!

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

Wow .... great!   Thanks!  Woman Happy