Respected Contributor

EGGPLANT Parmesan Question - -

[ Edited ]

When you make your EP, is the Eggplant soft and mushy?

EDIT:

I had NOT cooked it in awhile and noticed it seemed "mushy".

Couldn't remember if it was like that before, and I just didn't remember.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: EGGPLANT Parmesan Question - -

Yes, I love eggplant parm. 

Esteemed Contributor

Are you reffering to the texture of the Eggplant before or after cooking ?  Did you cook it whole or did you slice it  ?  If you sliced it in a cassarole dish , the width of the slices , if cut very thin may have rendered it   mushy in texture .   Eggplant  requires cooking till soft , otherwise it is not as tasty if it is hard and firm.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had NOT cooked it in awhile and noticed it seemed "mushy".

Couldn't remember if it was like that before, and I just didn't remember.

(Will add this info in my original post, to avoid confusion.)

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Confused how you cook - bake...............do you slice EP.....then dip in egg;;;;shake off excess.....brown slices in fry pan....then layer (with sauce).....and bake?

Cheese on the top

If browned first - don't think it should be mushy

Regular Contributor

I always cut the eggplant in rounds and lay them on a wire rack set over a baking sheet and sprinkle both sides with kosher salt. Let them sit for about an hour. In the meantime set up dredging station. Before breading, rinse the eggplant slices with water and pat dry with paper towels and continue with assembly, etc.  

Honored Contributor

I don't salt them ahead, nor do I use breadcrumbs.

I slice, dredge in flour and then egg and into hot oil.  If the oil is not hot enough, you'll get soggy, oily slices.  Make sure your oil is sufficiently hot by dropping a bit of the egg mixture into it before you start frying. If it sizzles right away and browns up quickly, you're good to go.

Also, try laying the cooked slices on sheets of paper towels to cool.  However, in any case, they are not going to be stiff and crispy like potato chips - more crispy on the outside and a little mushy on the inside.

I hope that helps.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I slice in rounds, then do the 3 dredging stations but bake them in the oven at 425 degrees flipping them once. 

In the past I haven't peeled the eggplant, but the next time am going to try peeling it. 

Respected Contributor

i always salt, to get out the extra water, then brush with OO and broil the slices,  to avoid all the extra calories with the crumbs, and pan frying.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I rarely make it since it is labor intensive for me

i salt - drain the water - flour, dip in egg, breadcrumbs - baked off and it comes out crispy - then layer with sauce / cheese for 2nd bake - it beomces soft but not mushy