Super Contributor

Re: Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake Mix

Reconnalssant, thank you so much!!!

Now  I don't have to buy a scale.

Super Contributor

A Vintage Cake is a cake recipe from many years ago.  Duncan Hines had the cake recipe that I am making on the back of their box.  It is a Devils Food Chocolate Chip cake.  So I will be adding chocolate morsels and a box of pudding to the mix.

Super Contributor

Don't feel foolish.  We all have questions at one time or another.  I still do. Lol

Valued Contributor

I have been using the cake-upsizer since I got the recipe. I keep in a freezer container 

In the freezer . It works great.

Honored Contributor

@Fribwl 

I make that cake at least twice a month without any alterations, and it turns out fine every time.   

Honored Contributor

@Fribwl wrote:

Reconnalssant, thank you so much!!!

Now  I don't have to buy a scale.

A digital kitchen scale is a great purchase for the kitchen and they're cheap (typically under $20.) You'll find many uses for them.

If you have multiple people in the household the kitchen scale makes making sure each person gets an equal share of something very easy. (My dad and brother would each be sure the other one got a bigger share of something. Weighing everything out to the gram finally ended that nonsense. They were very large and old six-year-olds around each other when it came to food. "He got more than I did!" Not when I divided things by their weight he didn't.)

If you've got a somewhat heavy envelope to mail and you're not sure if it takes one stamp or more, plop it on the scale and you'll have an answer.

Weighing ingredients is much, much easier and faster than other methods also and many recipes now come with weights. If a recipe calls for six cups of flour and you're measuring it out, somewhere around cup four I'll find myself wondering if that was cup four or if this is going to be cup four and have to go back and start over. With a scale, if it calls for 900 grams of flour you just measure out nine hundred grams of flour. Easy-peasy and much faster and more accurate than conventional measuring using measuring cups and measuring spoons.

Some people cram stuff into a measuring cup while others just very lightly sift ingredients into the measuring cup. If the recipe was written by a crammer and you're a sifter, or vice versa, the result won't be right. It doesn't matter if you're a crammer or sifter if the recipe lists the wights of the ingredients.

Weighing ingredients lets you replicate the result exactly every single time you cook. It's so much easier, faster, and better. Once you've gotten used to a scale, you'll wonder why you never had one before.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 wrote:

I have been using the cake-upsizer since I got the recipe. I keep in a freezer container 

In the freezer . It works great.

This is a helpful idea, Thanks.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@RedTop .  The cake came out very good.  Everybody liked it on Christmas Day.  But I am going to make it again and do it your way.  Much easier.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@Reconnaissant 

LOL Thank you 😊 l thought it was a particular kind of cake. Like a Black Forrest, German Chocolate etc.  I feel foolish thinking everyone thinks Idk what vintage means lol EMBARRASSING!

@KBEANS 

You know what they say? You learn somethimg new every day.

You should check out vintage.recipes online.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Nightowlz . I will certainly check out that website. Hope you had a nice holiday.