Esteemed Contributor

My neighbor told me she loves Lentil Soup.

Looked on Pinterest and Google....had no idea there were so many types of Lentils and Lentil Soups?

Do you have a favorite?

Would appreciate your recipe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you make Lentil Soup?

I just use regular brown lentils you get almost anywhere now, even WalMart.  And Whole Foods has some good lentil soup in boxes we buy on sale and keep for when we don't want to cook.

I LOVE lentil soup! 

Honored Contributor

i dont have a formal recipe......i use brown lentils, onions, celery leaves and very tender pieces of celery, garlic, water,a couple of spoons of better than boullion (chicken, beef, or vegetable) OR broth/stock, salt, pepper, and a spoonful or two of tomato paste......i also add a bit of saffron.

saute onions, garlic, celery leaves with butter or olive oil or your favorite oil. add lentils to toast them a little. add your water/bouillion or broth/stock. add seasonings. simmer on low heat for about an hour or so.....test lentils to see if they are done and adjust seasoning as needed. at the end, add the tomato paste and saffron if desired. it should be relatively thick and not too "watery."

this is a great way to make them if you are a vegan or vegetarian.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

This is from peachesencream

I made a new soup this week, Red Lentil Soup from The Kitchn website. I had just received some red lentils from Bob's Red Mill.

I love that this soup is simple and basic. I have lentil soup recipes with tomatoes, spices, and spinach, etc. This one lets the lentils shine.

I added 1/2 cup extra broth, because we like soupier soups.

RED LENTIL SOUP

YIELD Serves 4

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large carrot, diced (I used 2)
  • 2 large stalks celery, diced
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
  • 1 cup dried red lentils
  • 4 cups water or low-sodium broth (I used Swansons Natural Goodness low sodium chicken broth)
  • 1 whole bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1/2 large lemon)
  • For serving: Olive oil, yogurt, or other topping (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

*Rinse and drain lentils in a mesh strainer or colander.

Heat the olive oil. In a medium (2- to 3-quart) saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and salt and stir to combine. Cover and let the vegetables sweat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the lentils, water or broth, and bay leaf and bring up to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer, covered, until the lentils begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes.

Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and season with salt as needed. Ladle into bowls and serve with toppings if desired.

RECIPE NOTES

More topping options: To perk up the soup just before serving, top it with a drizzle of peppery olive oil, a dollop of plain yogurt, a sprinkle of sumac, or a spoonful of gremolata.

Recipe variations: This recipe is pared down to just the basics — you can certainly add a teaspoon of garam masala, Italian herbs, or any other seasoning blend to spice things up a bit if you like. Just add the spices in along with the lentils and broth.

I made it and it was delicious. 

Valued Contributor

Gingery Lentil Soup  (Health.com)
This soup recipe is sure to heal what ails you. Consider it Chicken Soup 2.0.Lentils are a great soure of fiber and protein. When they're boiled, many of the nutrients run off into the water, so using lentils in a soup is a great way to get all those nutrients into your body.
Prep:
10 mins
Cook:
35 mins
Total:
45 mins
Yield:
Serves 4 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 3 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, plus enough water to equal 4 cups
  • 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
DirectionsInstructions Checklist
  • Step 1

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot and onion; cover and cook 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add curry, salt, and pepper; cook 30 seconds.

• Step 2

Stir in diluted broth and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls.

Nutrition Facts
253 calories; fat 3g; saturated fatg; mono fat 2g; poly fat 1g; protein 17g; carbohydrates 42g; fiber 15g; cholesterolmg; iron 5mg; sodium 615mg; calcium 66mg.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love it!   Especially in the cool weather.  I am not much of a cook, but I usually can follow directions ("usually" is the operative word here🙃😜) and 'way back years ago I managed to get a lentil soup recipe from a chef in a local restaurant.   Haven't made it in a long time since it's just me here, but maybe I should.   I'll see if I can find the recipe to share.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I don't have a favorite recipe; just make it similar to pea soup.   

Trusted Contributor

Thank you! Will have to make this @deb5555 

Super Contributor

I hack lentils with a very healthy option

Take a  small head of green cabbage....grate on your hand grater on the smallest hole....

put it into the soup..it will dissolve and adds so much fiber and vitamens....also taste

also add small diced tomatoes...

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

My neighbor told me she loves Lentil Soup.

Looked on Pinterest and Google....had no idea there were so many types of Lentils and Lentil Soups?

Do you have a favorite?

Would appreciate your recipe.

I'm lazy, I just throw together chicken broth, carrots, celery, onions, a can of diced tomatoes, and use steamed lentils (they are already cooked you find them in the produce section).