Esteemed Contributor

I'm fixing a rutabaga.  It's just me, so I am boiling half with ham and roasting half in EVOO, s&p.

Do you like rutabaga?  How do you fix it or like eating it?

Respected Contributor

I love it cubed and boiled then butter, salt and pepper.  My mom only made it at thanksgiving and my father and I were the only ones out of our family of eight that liked it.  He used to make sandwiches out of it (I pass on that one). 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like rutabaga?

[ Edited ]

Nope. Don't like it.

My aunt did. She'd fix it every Thanksgiving and she'd be the only one to eat it. Guess none of the rest of us liked it either.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

I love it but no one will eat it but me so i have not cooked it in a long time.

Trusted Contributor

I have a friend who's a chef.  She's originally from MN, so a lot of her Holiday Food Traditions are different from mine.  She makes mashed rutabagas which are just delicious.  As she says, "Enough butter and cream in there will make anything pretty d*** good!"

Honored Contributor

Mother made it a couple of times and made sister and I try it.  We thought it was awful and to this day joke about the horrible rutabaga.  Yuck!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My paternal grandparents loved rutabagas with side meat and cornbread.    Best I can remember, Grandma would cube the rutabagas and parboil them a few minutes, drain, and then finish cooking them in the cast iron skillet where she had just cooked the meat.   As a little kid I just ate them, and thought they were fried potatoes.   

Honored Contributor

I am not sure I know what it is.  Is that the vegetable that is shaped like a carrot but is white and tasted kind of sweet when cooked?

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I am not sure I know what it is.  Is that the vegetable that is shaped like a carrot but is white and tasted kind of sweet when cooked?

@DiAnne, I could be wrong, but i think what you're describing is a parsnip.  They look like white carrots to me.  They are delicious roasted!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you like rutabaga?

[ Edited ]

DiAnne, you are describing a parsnip.  Rutabagas remind me of turnips (roots) except they are waxy and big-  more beige with purple v. turnips that are white and purple.  I bought one Sunday and the smallest one I could find weighed over a pound.