1 cup chopped onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

10 large eggs, beaten

1/4 cup minced parsley

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 large tomato, thinly sliced

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.  In a 9 or 10" ovenproof skillet, heat reserved drippings on medium-high.  Add the ASPARAGUS, onion and garlic; saute' until onion is tender.  Crumble bacon; set aside a third.  In large bowl, combine remaining bacon, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper.

Pour egg mixture into skillet; stir.  Top with tomato, cheese and reserved bacon.  Cover and cook over medium-low until eggs are nearly set, 10-15 minutes.  Preheat the broiler; place skillet 6" from heat.  Broil until lightly browned, 2 minutes.  Serve immediately.

A Taste of Home recipe.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... WHIPPING CREAM

Honored Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Merry Christmas!  Happy Hanukkah! Happy Holidays! 

Almond Chocolate Cream Angel Cake

6 tablespoons cocoa

6 tablespoons sugar

3 cups WHIPPING CREAM

1 cup sliced almonds, toasted if desired, divided

1 large angel food cake

Mix cocoa and sugar with WHIPPING CREAM; chill one hour.  After, whip the cream mixture until stiff peaks form, then add a 1/2 cup almonds.  

Cut 1" slice from top of the cake. Carefully cut a trench inside cake, leaving walls and bottom approximately 1" thick.  Fill cake with 1/3 of cocoa cream mixture.  Place top on cake and frost with remaining cocoa cream.  Sprinkle with remaining almonds.  Chill well before serving.

Note....cake removed from inside can be placed over the cocoa cream mixture as much as space allows and then put top on.  Or, just eat and enjoy cake pieces. 😀

NEXT INGREDIENT ......  POWDERED SUGAR OR

A FAVORITE HOLIDAY RECIPE

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Merry Christmas Happy Hanukkah and holidays to all!

This is my go to fudge recipe. Easy, quick and simple, like me!

Five Minute Microwave Fudge

23CF56B3-9649-4AEB-9C6B-AB617D99E365.jpeg

Microwave Fudge is a fast, easy, and sinfully delicious way to make homemade fudge in just five minutes. This fudge recipe will become a family favorite!

Course Dessert
Cuisine American

Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes

Servings 80 servings
Calories 83kcal

Ingredients
  • 32 ounce bag powdered sugar about 8 cups, unsifted
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder unsifted
  • 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla
Instructions
  • Line a baking sheet or casserole dish with foil.
  • In a large bowl, combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder and stir until they seem reasonably well mixed. If the mixture seems like there are small clumps, you may sift it after its been measured.
  • Pour milk over sugar mixture but do no mix. Place cubes of butter on top. Microwave on high power 3-4 minutes until the butter has almost completely melted.
  • Immediately remove mixture from microwave and stir well until very well combined. You need to work fast because you want to spread the mixture while its still hot, but you want every spec of sugar to be well incorporated.
  • Once chocolate mixture is thoroughly mixed, stir in walnuts and vanilla.
  • Immediately pour warm fudge into prepared dish and spread to desired thickness. I only used about 60% of the surface of my baking sheet and made a 10x10 inch square with my fudge. It will only spread as far as you want, so make it as thick as you'd like the individual pieces to be.
  • Allow to fully set at room temperature. Our house is always freezing, so it didn't take much time. If you live in a warm house, it may take several hours or even a bit of refrigeration.
  • Lift foil out of dish and transfer fudge to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut squares.
  • Store in airtight container.
Notes
Makes 80 small pieces, serving size is once piece

Nutrition

Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 29mg | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 0.2mg

Next Ingredient: BROTH
Esteemed Contributor

Aunt Gladys’s Soup                                3 quarts

1 lb Beef or your favorite meat, ground or cubed

I brown ground or cubed beef in a big pot!

I like to add more potatoes than other veggies.   

3 lg potatoes cut into ½” cubes

3 raw carrots or 1 small can carrots

2 celery ribs   

1 sm onion, diced

1 can diced tomatoes (14oz) undrained

½ cup okra (optional)

I have added a small amount (1/4 C) of cut up cabbage or greens after 20 mins.

Add 1 can chicken broth and 1 can beef broth

Salt & pepper to taste. (broth is already salted)

Cook until veggies are tender.  About 30 minutes.

Broth can be diluted with water to obtain desired taste

If you want to freeze this, do not add the potatoes until you are ready to eat it

Thaw out and cook just long enough to cook the potatoes.  The smaller the pieces, the faster they cook.  Delicious and healthy!

Oh, gotta serve with cornbread!

Next ingredient:  Eggs

Honored Contributor

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, MAY YOUR MEAL BE MERRY AND BRIGHT!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Next ingredient:  Eggs

Honored Contributor

Leek and Potato Galette with Pistachio Crust

AD5DA19E-F26F-405A-AA5F-DD3ED1EE347C.jpeg

INGREDIENTS
Dough
  • ½ cup raw pistachios
  • 2½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Filling and Assembly
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 large leek, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
  • 5 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
  • All-purpose flour (for surface)
  • 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped dill, divided, plus sprigs for serving
  • 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1 large egg, beaten to blend
  • Crushed pink peppercorns (for serving; optional   RECIPE PREPARATION
    Dough
    • Pulse pistachios in a food processor until coarsely ground. Add flour, salt, and sugar and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse just until a coarse meal forms. With motor running, gradually stream in ½ cup ice water and process until dough comes together. Transfer dough to a work surface; form into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 minutes.

• Do Ahead: Dough can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.

Filling and Assembly
    • Preheat oven to 400º. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a small skillet over medium-low. Cook leek, stirring occasionally, until softened but without taking on any color, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

• Mix goat cheese, cream, and garlic in a medium bowl to combine; season with salt and black pepper.

• Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll out 1 piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to an 8" round; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using an offset spatula, spread one-quarter of goat cheese mixture over dough, leaving a 1" border. Scatter 1 Tbsp. dill evenly over, then top with a thin layer of potato slices. Drizzle with oil; season with salt. Scatter one-quarter of leeks over potatoes. Fold edges of dough over filling, tucking and overlapping slightly as needed. Repeat with remaining dough, goat cheese mixture, chopped dill, potatoes, and leeks and more oil and salt to make 3 more galettes. Brush top of dough with egg.

• Bake galettes until crusts are golden brown and potatoes are soft, 30–40 minutes. Drizzle with honey and top with dill sprigs. Sprinkle with pink peppercorns, if using; season with salt and black pepper.

Next Ingredient: GOAT CHEESE

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Green Goddess, Pistachio, & Goat Cheese Ball

from Bon Appetit, Epicurious website

Featured Ingredient:  GOAT CHEESE

4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature

4 ounces goat cheese at room temperature

2 Tbsp unsalted butter

4 anchovy fillets (I have subbed a tiny squeeze of paste)

1 cup watercress leaves

1/4 cup tender leaved herbs (mint, parsley, tarragon or cilantro)

2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives

Kosher salt

1/3 cup toasted pistachio nuts, chopped

Process cheeses and butter until smooth.  Pulse in the anchivy fillets, and cress and herbs of your choice.  Taste and season with salt.  Place the mixture in a plastic lined bowl and wrap the mixture, shapping into a ball,  Refrigerate  for 3 to 12 hours.

Unwrap and roll in the pistachios.  Serve with crackers.

Happy New Year Fellow Recipe Folks!  We have had a wonderful year of sharing recipes.  And I thank you all.  

This cheese ball will be part of my New Years Eve menu along with some other things and Cook's Champagne to toast in 2020.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  POSTER'S CHOICE

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 All your recipes look so good!!

Honey Mustard Broccoli Salad

6F2E06ED-558E-490B-9DF2-DD8B8A379C64.jpeg

This crunchy, sweet, tangy, and creamy Honey Mustard Broccoli Salad only takes minutes to makes the perfect summer side dish but I eat this year round. I usually omit the cranberries and put some crumbled bacon in to reduce sugar content. 

Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time0 mins
Total Time15 mins

Keyword: Easy Side Dish, Summer Food
Total Cost: $4.10 recipe / $0.82 serving
Servings: 5 1 cup each
Author: Beth - Budget Bytes
Ingredients
Honey Mustard Dressing
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise $0.80
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard $0.09
  • 1 Tbsp yellow mustard $0.09
  • 3 Tbsp honey $0.36
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar $0.02
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder $0.02
  • 1/8 tsp paprika $0.02
  • 1/8 tsp salt $0.02
  • freshly cracked pepper $0.02
Salad
  • 1 large crown Broccoli (about 5 cups chopped) $1.69
  • 1/4 red onion (about 1/2 cup diced) $0.11
  • 1/3 cup slivered almonds $0.64
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries $0.22
Instructions
  • Prepare the honey mustard dressing by stirring together the mayonnaise, Dijon, yellow mustard, honey, vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper. Set the dressing aside.
  • Chop the broccoli into small pieces. Finely dice the red onion.
  • Combine the broccoli, onion, almonds, and dried cranberries in a large bowl. Add about half of the honey mustard dressing and stir to coat. Add more dressing to your liking (I used about 3/4 of the batch).
  • Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.

Next Ingredient: SPINACH

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse Why, thank you for the kind words.  I have probably a couple of hundred cook books and a pretty large clip file, and some I've copied, handwritten, when no Xerox machine was handy, into a notebook.  

I know that some of the recipes I post are probably very "old school" and use ingredients now frowned upon (condensed soup as one example) by many but I love cooking and have much more time to play with recipes now that I'm retired.  

For me moderation is the key to enjoyable eating, not banning certain food categories entirely--except if there is a food allergy or sensitivity involved, of course.

And sometimes techniques combined with simple ingredients are needed more than recipes.  

Had a lovely small standing prime rib roast for Christmas Day dinner--nothing more needed than a good quality cut of meat, ground Kosher salt and coarsely ground pepper and it was excellent.  Sauteed fresh mushrooms and onions, steamed broccoli, and homemade pumpkin bread with whipped cream rounded out the meal that evening. 

Looking forward to seeing more wonderful exchanges from you and all the other food friends here in 2020.  And a big thank you to @mtc who so graciously starts the new monthly threads for us.

Next Ingredient:  SPINACH